Custom print decals?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tommy8008

Custom print decals?

Post by Tommy8008 »

Any one know any where to get 1 sheet of custom decals printed? I have the image ready to go, just need a good vendor that won't charge the earth.

I know you can get decal paper to do it yourself, but I want a quality print done, and my printer isn't up to the task, as I've tried and failed.

UK preferably.
DaveVan

Re: Custom print decals?

Post by DaveVan »

Is a white underlay needed??? If not take your art and paper to a store that has a laser printer and have them print. What file format are you using??? A JPG will not look good no matter what method of printer.
Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 »

I forgot I made this thread haha.

The image format is png and white is in the print, hence.

I don't know anywhere around here that has a laser printer to print it out. I suppose I could ask Google.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

A PNG file will not give great results from any printer. Also if you need white print then you must print on white decal paper as even a laser will not print white. Kinda involved or pay someone with a working ALPS printer to create art and print it right.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Tommy8008 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 am Any one know any where to get 1 sheet of custom decals printed? I have the image ready to go, just need a good vendor that won't charge the earth.

I know you can get decal paper to do it yourself, but I want a quality print done, and my printer isn't up to the task, as I've tried and failed.

UK preferably.
Let me know when you find this Holy Grail.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 »

DaveVan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 am A PNG file will not give great results from any printer. Also if you need white print then you must print on white decal paper as even a laser will not print white. Kinda involved or pay someone with a working ALPS printer to create art and print it right.
Shame. The image is quite complicated, it's a football club badge, so I guess it'll be too much. Cheers anyway.
Stu Pidasso wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:30 pmLet me know when you find this Holy Grail.
The search goes on.
naoto

Post by naoto »

There are laser printers that print white
http://www.okidata.com/printers/color/c711wt
(but a tad pricey at around $3400)

With regards to artwork -- it's best if you create the image in a "vector-type" or "object-type" format (i.e. using a "draw" type program like Corel, Illustrator, etc) rather than a raster type format (i.e. using a "paint" type program). If you do use a raster format, keep in mind that printers are likely to have at least 3x the dot resolution of a video display (a typical video resolution is around 96~120dpi while most printers are 300dpi in the lowest resolution mode). What this means is if you print an image dot-for-dot, what fills up your monitor is likely to be about the size of a postage stamp on paper. Another potential "gotcha" is when dot pitch might not be the same in vertical and horizontal directions (i.e. pixels aren't square -- an often-cited example where this caused problems was the Starfury from Babylon 5).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

There is also white decal film. You may have to play with the saturation of the colours to get the results you need. Vector graphics are best, but you can also do JPEG or any bitmap. It depends on what quality you need and what the viewing distance is on the decal.

TazMan2000
Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 »

I forgot I made this thread haha.

I'm only looking for the decals to be about 2"x2", maybe slightly bigger.

It's to go onto the side of the radio controlled Grand Hauler. We want it to be different to everyone else's.