Need help in duplicating wood finish!!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DarKev

Need help in duplicating wood finish!!

Post by DarKev »

Hello Folks

The next kit on the bench is going to be the Battlestar Galactica S-01 Blaster as seen in this picture;

http://www.weaponreplica.com/prop-repli ... p-replica/

The kit is completely molded in Black Resin and wel I have never duplicated a wood finish and this gun has wooden grips. So I was wondering if anyone has seen a good tutorial on creating a wood finish on plastic or resin kits???

Thank for any help forthcoming!!!

DarKev
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
naoto

Re: Need help in duplicating wood finish!!

Post by naoto »

Have you tried Google with the following keywords? model aeroplane painting wood grain
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mo ... 6964700280

BTW -- if you're wondering why I've got "aeroplane" as one of the keywords -- WWI era aircraft often have wooden propellers and wood panels, so you're likely to find woodgrain painting techniques relating to model aeroplane.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
hossfly72

Post by hossfly72 »

I've seen a lot of really good model makers use artists oils to do it, but I haven't. I actually read an article somewhere online last night that suggested ordinary wood stains for it, but you have to use the "goop" in the bottom of the tin without shaking it up. I've done it successfully in 1/72 and 1/48 scale planes with enamels and a stiff bristled brush.
The easiest route, if you don't mind a bit of web searching would be to look for a wood grain decal sheet and go that route. I have a couple bought from Rosemont hobbies that I got years ago and have saved for my WWI planes when I get back into them. Not hard to do.
Make a copy of the grip using aluminum foil. Trace that onto to the back of the decal paper and cut it to shape. Make sure you have a VERY smooth and glossy surface on the model, Future will help with this. Let it dry overnight before continuing.
Wet decal, give the grip a fresh coat of Future, float decal onto the Future and press out any air bubbles and water/Future under the decal (gently!). Let dry, coat with Solvaset or the like, wipe down with a damp paper towel. Then coat it with more Future to seal it. Should be plenty durable for display and/or light cosplay. If you want a flatter finish, mix 50% Future with 50% Tamiya flat base.
Rosemont is long out of business, but there are others. Roll Models is a great outfit to start the search.

Since the model is a 1/1 scale, based on an actual revolver, you could ask on the gun forums or BSG forums which pistol it is based on and order custom wood grips for it which would up the realism factor. The article said the grips bolt on, if I read it correctly.
Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 »

naoto wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 pmBTW -- if you're wondering why I've got "aeroplane" as one of the keywords
And it is the term we Brits use. Those of us who aren't pretending to be American in any case.
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

I have a simple way of making something look like wood. First I take the part and run it with a sandpaper in just one direction. This will simulate the wood grain. You don't have to go perfectly straight. just look at some real wood grain and mimic the movement.
Then I use Vallejo's GoldBrown (pos#126) and paint the area to be wood. If you use a coarse sandpaper and the "gouges" are a little wide , you could also get a lighter color tan and paint in one or two gaps in the "gouges" for a little variance. Then finally I coat it with a light coat of Citadel's Agrax Earthshade (brown) wash . Again in certain gaps you can add another thin line of Agrax to darken the line and again add variance.

I'm sure you can use other types of paint - lighter wood/darker wood - and washes to simulate what you're looking for. HTH
adam.kavanagh

Post by adam.kavanagh »

naoto wrote:Have you tried Google with the following keywords? model aeroplane painting wood grain
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mo ... 6964700280

BTW -- if you're wondering why I've got "aeroplane" as one of the keywords -- WWI era aircraft often have wooden propellers and wood panels, so you're likely to find woodgrain painting techniques relating to model aeroplane.
'Have you tried google? '

Come on now.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

naoto

Post by naoto »

adam.kavanagh wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:12 am
naoto wrote:Have you tried Google? (extraneous text trimmed by naoto for brevity)
'Have you tried google? '

Come on now.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Agree -- I wasn't too helpful in stating the obvious, and apologize for my condescending tone of my original post.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人