Tamiya acrylics and using a gloss coat

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

Tamiya acrylics and using a gloss coat

Post by nanook177 »

Ok, I'm building my second 1/1000 Refit, using Tamiya Acrylics. My first one I using a gloss coat to provide a smooth surface and the results were... catastrophic. It practically washed away the paint. Any advice on trying this again or just don't this time? I'm building this as a gift and I'm trying to make this as good as possible and want to learn from my mistakes. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Kylwell

Re: Tamiya acrylics and using a gloss coat

Post by Kylwell »

I've used Alclad II gloss & matte coats on Tamiya, Testor's acrylic clear coats, and good old Future/Pledge Floor Care Mutli-surface without any issues. What clear coat where you using and how did you apply it?
Abolish Alliteration
wowyz

Post by wowyz »

Tamiya makes matte, semigloss and gloss topcoats when in doubt.

General rule avoid hot coats( top, paint) over less volatile ones and always give a few days to let current coat/ paint dry 100%.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

From the symptoms it sounds to me as if the Tamiya paint coat rather bears the problem, not the top varnish coat? From my experience with Tamiya acrylics, they proved to be very robust. Once dry, they are hard to "impress" by any kind of varnish (either acrylic or solvent-based). Did the paint flake off, or did it crumble under the varnish? To me it appears as if the Tamiya paint did not bond well with the underground, and was then "washed away" by the varnish on top?
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Wow man, 3 months later and no reply at all from OP. Being a big user of Tamiya paints I am interested in this.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Sounds like the OP used a rattlecan lacquer like Testor's Dullcote or somesuch. That's the most likely candidate for washing away acrylic. That, or it was something with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and was soaked on instead of misted.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
darthviper107

Post by darthviper107 »

Used the Tamiya semi-gloss spray recently, it turned out really well and polished quite nicely using Novus plastic polish.
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

Hello again. I did solve the problem. I did use a Lacquer gloss unintentionally. I nearly did the same thing again trying to use Tamiya pearl Lacquer on another refit. Thanks for all the help to all here.