Alclad acrylic gloss clear over Tamiya or other flat acrylic

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SGCSG1

Alclad acrylic gloss clear over Tamiya or other flat acrylic

Post by SGCSG1 »

Interesting - anyone try this?

I did not know Alclad made any acrylic finishes.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagorie ... p?micr=772
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Wow, that is cool. It's mostly meant to seal their metallic lacquers. I understand that normal clear coats will reduce the shine of Alclad Chrome, so I assume that this stuff won't. I'd like to protect the chrome because it tends to wear off when touched.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

its their first and hopefully we'll see a matte coat in the near future.
Abolish Alliteration
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

I bought one bottle. The only place I could find that still had any was on Amazon Japan, and there were only 2 left. So it arrived Saturday morning, but nowhere on the bottle does this say that it is acrylic. It does not list the ingredients. It does say "Alclad II Lacquer" on the bottle, so maybe it is lacquer? The only place that says that it is acrylic is that site linked to above.
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

But, will it yellow over time like other gloss products used for model finishes??
Normal?? What is normal??
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

The only gloss coat I know that yellows over time is Testors. I stay away from that.
Greg
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:I bought one bottle. The only place I could find that still had any was on Amazon Japan, and there were only 2 left. So it arrived Saturday morning, but nowhere on the bottle does this say that it is acrylic. It does not list the ingredients. It does say "Alclad II Lacquer" on the bottle, so maybe it is lacquer? The only place that says that it is acrylic is that site linked to above.
"Acrylic" does not necessarily mean "water-based." There are acrylic lacquers and enamels as well as water-based acrylics. "Acrylic" usually refers to the chemistry of the pigment and sometimes the binder, not the solvent or vehicle. Tamiya "acrylics," like many such paints labeled "acrylic," are actually alcohol-based ENAMELS, the alcohol being a very mild solvent which just happens to be miscible with water.

Having said that, I don't know anything about the chemistry of Alclad II lacquer. I'd suggest creating a test panel. I once used some clear Tamiya acrylic over instrument panel decals to create simulated glass, and every decal wrinkled badly.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
zaphod

Re: Alclad acrylic gloss clear over Tamiya or other flat acrylic

Post by zaphod »

As long as it says Aqua Gloss, you're good to go.
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
southwestforests

Re:

Post by southwestforests »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:46 amThe only gloss coat I know that yellows over time is Testors. I stay away from that.
Future floor acrylic, whatever its name now, will yellow a bit after about 6, 7, 8, years or so.

A few months ago found this buried in back of bottom cabinet. Label says copyright 2011 so it is not older than that, probably not much younger than that either. Poured some out in white plastic cup and it indeed is a hint yellowed.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011