Is there a website that does this?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

E-Dub

Is there a website that does this?

Post by E-Dub »

1. You upload a color.
2. It replies: "To obtain this color mix "x"% of "Y" paint with "x"% of "Z" paint.

Would take a lot of guesswork out of this hobby.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I would think not just due to the variables involved. For example, how are you going to get the color? Scanner or camera or FS numbers? You would have to either make it relative whereby it says "well to get what you showed me, do 'x' and 'y'" which would defeat the purpose. Or, you'd have to standardize the input to only this given piece of hardware for imaging/scanning or only FS numbers. Since not everyone has the same hardware (teehee) and not all colors have FS numbers, that likely wouldn't work either. These don't even take into account the verification. For example, if I look at the color onscreen it is going to look different than the sample and different than looking at it on another monitor.

The closest thing is the color matching service at some hardware and autobody shops. They have standardized input hardware for scanning the paint/color samples.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

I agree with Lt. Z0mBe. The technology of colour perception is a course in itself, but really, the only inexpensive way is to get colour swatches directly from the manufacturer of the paint company and use those to determine what paint is suitable by matching up the swatch right against the model. But even that is shot in the dark, as the studio model's colour has been probably modified with weathering. So if you get a colour and paint that on your model, and then weather it, the colour will change. Another problem is that even though you may get the FS paint colour, the manufacturer can have differences in the paint texture. For example, if you take a FS 35526 and get a corresponding Tamiya paint as well as a Vallejo, they wouldn't necessarily look the same if painted next to each other because of texturing and lighting conditions or other factors.
Colour perception is dependent on many factors which includes lighting and the colour gamut of the devices used to record or print the image. Also, monitors display RGB, printers print CMYK (there are some that do RGB but they are rare). Even monitors have different characteristics and each one can display colour in a different way.
Sorry for the overly complicated explanation, but painting is really more of an art, than a science....obviously.

TazMan2000
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Heh, I worked for close to 2 decades in the print industry. Color is not what it seems. Ever.

For instance, I see a touch farther into the ultraviolet spectrum so what you make call blue I'll swear is purple. Dealt with an art director who thought glacial ice was green(ish).

Yes, you could quantify what X pigment reflected in Y light source to Z color space but that's as close as you could get.

Some light (heh) reading http://www.color.org/whitepapers.xalter
Abolish Alliteration
zemjw

Post by zemjw »

I agree with the others, but you could try http://www.reapermini.com/powerpalette

It'll only give you reaper colours, but there are conversion tables out there to other manufacturers
naoto

Post by naoto »

Also one might need to take into account "scale effect on colors -- so even if you had an authentic color chip of the actual article, you'd still have to make some adjustment
https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/scale_effect.shtml
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Aerethan

Post by Aerethan »

I don't know of any companies off hand, but I'd imagine you could find one to mix a color if you provide them with the hexidecimal code for the exact color you want.

It also might be a bit expensive.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Hexidecimal isn't accurate enough. Even Pantone's full range of colors isn't broad enough and it's made for odd color mixing.

There are several systems out there that enable you to scan a color and have it reproduce it as close as possible within a color system but they're usually centered on a single pigment set. And they don't adjust for "scale" effect or a particular light.
Abolish Alliteration
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

Most places that make house paint can scan a swatch. As long as the sample is bigger than a quarter. Half dollar is better. And then they can spit out a formula. Granted, it's formulated to their base, and tints. But it would get you in the ballpark if your having trouble with a certain color.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/