Masking Circular Parts.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Masking Circular Parts.

Post by TD1701 »

I've got a problem and I hope one you great guys out there can help. I am currently working on an AMT/Ertl Vulcan Shuttle and I want to paint the docking collar. The problem is I can't quite seem to be able to mask it properly. I can mask the lower circular part OK but, it's the oblong upper part that merges with the hull I can't seem to master. I am attaching a photo of the area in question.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac32 ... .47.46.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

#1 is going to be to use really skinny tape. I don't know what kind you use, but if it's too wide then you can just trim a piece with a ruler and knife. I always use 3M green automotive tape, and that stuff stretches around bends really well, especially if you trim it thin. Cheapie white masking tape doesn't stretch, so that'll be more of a problem. Blue painter's tape was invented by Satan and I wouldn't even try it.

-Rog
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

What I do, is use green or yellow paint masking tape cut into thin strips about 2-3 millimetres wide. At that width, you can follow the curvature with the tape still being able to stretch and be fairly smooth around the curves. The top part may be a little tight so the masking tape may be a little segmented in that section.

Another ways is to cut a mask from some thin scrap cardboard on either the left or right hand side and cut strips away a bit of the cardboard until you get a perfect profile. Place that on the tape and use X-acto knife to cut the left profile. Turn over the cardboard and cut out the right profile.

TazMan2000
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks a lot guys this is great! :D Where would be a good place to buy the green masking tape? I have to admit I was using 3M blue masking tape and tried to cut it with an Xacto. :( I was at a LHS today and saw that Tamiya has a masking tape for curves. Do either of you know anything about this product?

Tom
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Tamiya tape is good, but overpriced for what it is. The green 3M tape can be found at any auto parts store by the spray paint and Bondo. For the price of a tiny roll of Tamiya you can buy the 3M stuff and cut it to any size you want and you'll probably never run out.

-Rog
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

You're not kidding about the price of that Tamiya tape Rog! It was almost $7 for that small roll. I will have to make my way over to an auto parts store before the end of the week and check it out.

Tom
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Most any hardware store that sells paint will carry painters tape. I recommend the yellow stuff because it has less tack. Its better for Vallejo paints.

TazMan2000
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks to all of your help I think I've done it!!! I bought the green 3M tape that I cut into very thin stips, and with a stencil I made from the Vulcan shuttle decals here on the SSM site, I think I got a very nice result. Here are a couple of pics from my effort.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac32 ... .18.53.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac32 ... .55.14.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac32 ... .43.15.jpg

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice because I wouldn't have been able to do it without you!

Have a great weekend!

Tom
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Happy to help. Looking forward to see your shuttle fully painted.

TazMan2000