Problem airbrushing tonight.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

Problem airbrushing tonight.

Post by nanook177 »

Tonight my airbrush (paasche vl double action) was giving an uneven flow, like it was having to spit (my description) about every second or two. I know the pressure was constant and I had properly cleaned it when I finished using it last. My best guess is the paint (tamiya red, X-7) straight out of the bottle, was too thick or viscous. Am I thinking correctly or is there another reasonable solution? Thank you.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Most definitely that Tamiya paint was too thick out of the jar. Also, depending on how long it was sitting, stuff in the paint gels and must be vigorously mixed, and sometimes strained before painting. Tamiya paints are good quality, but suffer the same issues as most paints.

TazMan2000
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

If your compressor is providing air at a constant pressure and the thinning of the paint is correct, the uneven flux of air may be a symptom that there is something wrong internally with the airbrush.

You should be aware that the regular clean after the use doing backwash, etc, is not enough. From times to times you have to completely disassemble your airbrush and make a deep cleaning. After every use there will be remaining microscopic residues of paint that will agglutinate to others and overtime (sooner or later) clog the delicate inner pipes and the nozzle. It may happen more often when using acrylics.
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

I'm pretty sure it was to think. I tried using a regular brush and when I cleaned it the paint globbed up even in simple green as opposed to almost immediately dissolving. Thank you all!