Bad Dacal Paper

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

holt35

Bad Dacal Paper

Post by holt35 »

Ok guys I could use some help here. Last year I built a First Contact Enterprise-E model, for this ship I printed out my own decals from the SSM site I had used them years before on my Enterprise-B and had no problems with them so this wasn't the first time I printed my own decals. The Enterprise-E turned out great I was very happy with it but for some reason on this model and on my Excelsior model the decal paper shrank over time and ripped the ship marking decals on top of them. I used papilio decal paper just as I did on my E-B.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone has any idea why this happened, I know it can't be he clear coat because my Excelsior has the same clear coat and uses a mix of Acreation models decals and one's I printed myself and it didn't happen to the Acreations decals. Also can I have your opinions on what the best decal paper is and where I can buy it from since I'd like to never have to deal with fixing this problem again. Thanks
naoto

Post by naoto »

It could also be a combination of the clear coat and the underlying paint. Had issue like this on a few models -- where they were OK, but over time the decals started cracking and peeling away -- and taking some of the paint with it (i.e. the underside of the decals that peeled away have a layer of paint). On several other models (built around the same time) I did not have the problem -- and the biggest difference was the particular paint I'd used (I was using the same clear coat).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

This is creepy. I am working on my first lighted model and I am going to use a custom printed decal. Hope that it doesn't happen.

:shock:
holt35

Post by holt35 »

I actually removed some of the shrinking decals from my E-E today no paint on the underside of the decals. I used Tamiya Insignia White as my base coat and Krylon Acrylic color master gloss clear. Now I'm stuck replacing all the decals on this kit because the new decals look more grey in color like the model did when it was new which is also something that didn't happen to my E-B they still look as grey as the day I put them on but the Enterprise-E now has a more tan color to them. My Excelsior is even worse off, on that kit the secondary hull was done with printed out by me decals and they shrank wherever I butted them next to each other which split the decals on top of them. I'm stumped on this one
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

I hope you can rescue your work. It's bummer to revisit an old model to make repairs...

:cry:
holt35

Post by holt35 »

Thanks NCC1966 I can for sure fix the model by replacing all the aztek decals it's just a pain in the butt to do it over again after only a year and a half. Right now I'm thinking I'll order more ink and decal paper and print out all new decals instead of using the ones I had left over from last year.