Is there a new Old Silver?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Is there a new Old Silver?

Post by DeltaVee »

Now that Testors has discontinued its Floquil line, I'm looking for a substitute for Old Silver and Bright Silver that performs the same, i.e. that can be buffed out shiny and easily masked over. Anything out there?
P.S. I'm not talking about Metalizer or Alclad, etc. that have to have a gloss black base coat, etc.
geck

Post by geck »

Options are limited since you threw in "easily masked over". Most will pull up with repeated masking.

You could try some of the newer metallic acrylics from Vallejo. Good shine and can be masked if you strip some of the adhesive off before masking.

Another option are the new wax based metallics from AK. They are the Tru-Metal tube paints. They look amazing after being applied in the video I saw, but I don't know about masking. You just apply to the bare plastic...but I have concerns about how well they adhere. I have some, but have yet to try them out.

There are other lacquer based options out there if you look.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

This may or may not be what you're looking for, but lately I've really been liking Ace (the hardware store) Aluminum (the color) enamel. It's in a spray can under their "Rust Stop" line. The shine is unbelievable. I would say it's just a step behind something like a Spaz Stix chrome.

It definitely holds up to masking, and you can of course decant it as well for airbrushing, which markedly ups the reflecting quality. Oh, and cheap! They do a 2 for $6 sale quite a bit, for a 15 oz can.

-Rog
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. Several good silvers out there. I liked how buffed out Old Silver looked like oxidized aluminum. I have a spray can of I think Rustoleum silver that looks great but doesn't buff out.
geck

Post by geck »

Yeah...us model railroaders were quite peeved when Testors bought and killed the Floquil line. Those paints were fantastic. Now it's just their enamels/acrylics and far less colors to choose from
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I wouldn't be surprised if they started reintroducing those colors, only in the Ayrcl formula. For a lot of navy colors, I've had to switch back to enamels, because the acrylics I'm unable to source by the bottle in the US. Lifecolor being an example. Can't by the individual colors by the bottle, but only in box sets, which will get to expensive when you need 3 or 4 bottles of the necessary colors.
Thomas E. Johnson