Off White Paint?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Off White Paint?

Post by Tchail »

Any suggestions on how to achieve an off white paint color?

White + light gray? White + gray? White + ivory?

I have a color that's described as follows: White (60%) + Akira off-white (40%) + wood brown (small amount)

Any help would be appreciated!
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depends on the off. Usually it's white with a touch of brown but can be white with a gray & a dab of blue, or yellow, or even green.

I'd hazard a guess that they're wanting a warm white color which is white with a gray brown added but just enough to move it out of pure white.
Abolish Alliteration
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Agree, it's a rather non-specific tone - just avoid pure white, because it is very harsh.

A very light grey can be the answer, as well as brownish additions or ivory, there's IMHO no definition. I'd make it dependant on the surroundings. On a WWII USN aircraft, with blue upper camouflage, I'd rather go for a cold, grayish whitem while on a green/broan cammo I'd go with a more yellow-/brown-ish hue. Keep it subtle, though, and reference pics can help a lot, too.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Thanks!

I'll probably go with adding a small amount of light gray and light brown to a base of white.
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy