Painting Pippets

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thomas E. Johnson

Painting Pippets

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I've been using Testors paint Pippets and they are garbage quality wise. Always split open on the first use. Can anyone recommend a brand and source that is of much higher quality?
Thomas E. Johnson
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

I got a 500 count box of pipettes from Amazon (50ml, I think) for $15 a while back. Much cheaper than the Testors and pretty sturdy. I had been reusing the pipettes for thinner for a long time and they just recently split.

I need to order more...

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Yeah, get some of the polypropylene ones, especially the graduated ones. They're usually marked off by half ml marks. A case of 500 will run you about 16 bucks online. You'll find there's maybe 1 - 2 % that are faulty, where the seams didn't close, but considering the price and quantity, it's still a much better deal than what Testors charges ($4.50 for 6! Robbery!)

Since they're polypropylene, there resistant to pretty much any solvent or paint you'll use. I've even used lacquer thinner to clean paint out and reuse them for thinners.

Luckily for me, I teach chemistry. Any disposable pipettes used for water-soluble stuff gets rinsed out and disposed of in a way that ends up in a drawer in my hobby room. Obviously, nothing with chromium or lead compounds comes here! I may be cheap, but I don't mess with the nasty stuff any more than required.

Kev
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Is "pippet" another Canadian thing? Is it pronounced "pip it"? Just curious.

-Rog
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Rogviler wrote:Is "pippet" another Canadian thing? Is it pronounced "pip it"? Just curious.
Pipe-et. Meaning little pipe. :D

Sorry Mr. Thomas E. Johnson, I gave you Amazon.com, instead of .ca. Looks like you will need to order from the USA anyways, so...
John Fleming
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I'm familiar with "pipette." Just wondering if "pippet" was Canadian. I was thrown by "deckles" (decals) and "hydro" the first time so I've vowed to remain on my toes. :wink:

-Rog
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Rogviler wrote:... I've vowed to remain on my toes. :wink:
We add an e or u just cause, we remove an e here and there, and just for fun, throw in a zed or three.
John Fleming
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

Well, disregarding the spelling bit. I just bought a couple of eyedroppers at the local store. Just a suggestion as opposed to the whole mailed from another country thing.
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

I buy mine from Market Lab.
They do have lots of different sizes.

http://www.marketlab.com/transfer-pipet ... -Pipettes/
Todd
Im a peripheral visionary. I can see the future but only out of the corner of my eye.
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I ordered a pack of these.
Thomas E. Johnson
iSteve

Post by iSteve »

Vetter wrote:Well, disregarding the spelling bit. I just bought a couple of eyedroppers at the local store. Just a suggestion as opposed to the whole mailed from another country thing.
This. Glass ones clean up nicely for reuse and the measurements make mixing much more accurate.
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

You can often get these directly from China on ebay for very cheap prices. Sometimes the quality isn't so great, but I've had good luck with the ones I've gotten.