How do you remove stickum from a painted surface?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cydonia

How do you remove stickum from a painted surface?

Post by Cydonia »

Building a resin kit using Model Color and Tamiya acrylics. I masked off large areas with vinyl and prepared frisket film. The vinyl worked great, but l didn't notice until afterward that the frisket was a high tack. The result was areas of stickiness that cannot be removed by simply rolling or washing it off. I've also tried a small amount of GooGone on a small area, but this did not do much to remove the adhesive and was rather hard to remove the cleaner itself. And l believe alcohol would remove the paint even if used sparingly.

What is the best way to remove stickum from an acrylic surface without damaging the paint?
Ah...What does it do?

Do? It kills the enemy.

All of the enemy?

Aye, all of them. And all their wives, and all their children, and all their sheep and cattle, and cats and dogs—all gone.

Well, where’s the fun in that?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about turpentine and/or mineral spirits? Failing that I think you're down to freezing it and scraping it off or sanding it off with a touch up afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Cydonia

Post by Cydonia »

Hmm, freezing... :-k :-k
Ah...What does it do?

Do? It kills the enemy.

All of the enemy?

Aye, all of them. And all their wives, and all their children, and all their sheep and cattle, and cats and dogs—all gone.

Wug

Post by Wug »

Lamp oil usually works better than Goo Gone but I don't know if it will damgae the paint.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Personally, I've had no problem using IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on acrylic painted surfaces as long as the paint has had a few days to cure.

I just apply it sparingly with a soft cloth or (in fiddly areas) a Q-tip and rub gently. I keep a fairly damp cloth nearby to wash away the IPA when done.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Cydonia

Post by Cydonia »

Nope, the paint has cured for two weeks and the slightest swipe of IPA took some of the paint off without touching the stickum.
Ah...What does it do?

Do? It kills the enemy.

All of the enemy?

gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

Paint thinner is not supposed to affect acrylics so if it were me I would give it a try.
That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword.
Cydonia

Post by Cydonia »

And we have a winner! Enamel paint thinner.

It took up a very small amount of acrylic, but not enough to ruin it. Rubbed it on with a Q-tip, wiped it off with the other end. Nice and clean, no residue and the excess thinner simply evaporated.

I use enamels so rarely now that l totally forgot about the stuff. It now has a new purpose. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Ah...What does it do?

Do? It kills the enemy.

All of the enemy?

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Lighter fluid or Goof Off (which can be lighter fluid).
Abolish Alliteration
srspicer

Post by srspicer »

An excellent generic universal adhesive remover is Coleman fuel. No adhesive has ever resisted it, and does not attack most paints & finishes.

I have use it on the paper labels with adhesive backing. Let the stuff soak a bit and gently work the surface and you will have success.

With most chemicals, too much of a good thing will ruin anything, but I have had great success with this stuff. Remember, it has carcinogens in it, so wear gloves and use a fan w/respirator!!!!! :!:
jafo

Post by jafo »

I have used WD-40 on a cotton swab works great and doesnt mess with the paint.