New airbrush compressor- thoughts?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jimboh1

New airbrush compressor- thoughts?

Post by jimboh1 »

Hi there-

I've never been much of an airbrusher, instead generally relying on handbrushing and rattlecans. I'd like to change that.

I'm now looking to buy a small, portable compressor @ Michael's as I have a 40% off coupon, and two compressors are in competition, namely the Badger AS180-12 or the Iwata Ninja Jet Air IS35M.

The Ninja's $30 more and has sleeker lines but no apparent tank like the Badger appears to, and I'm not sure that I can attach a proper water trap to the Iwata.

Anyone done this comparison before or have experiences with one or the other that they're willing to share please?

Jim
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I can't really compare them, I've never used the Badger compressor. But I have used the Iwata compressors, and they work really well. IIRC they have an in-line moisture trap available too.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

Me either. I use a small Craftsman compressor to spray. Its more useful to me because I can air up tires, pool floats etc. And airbrush.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I have had my Badger 180-11 for... 20+ years. I've managed to kick it's thermal shut off twice in that time. No tank just a long air hose to minimize the pulses. My only complain is it's a bit noisy.

That being said I've also used the Ninja compressors and would love to get one. Very smooth and about half the volume of my Badger.
Abolish Alliteration
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

I use an air inhalator for 10 years now as compressor. It's cheap, silent and efficient. It won't work for suction AB models, just for gravity ones though.

:)