Blending(toning down) decals contrast???

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

crowe-t

Blending(toning down) decals contrast???

Post by crowe-t »

Does anyone have a technique(s) for blending/toning down decals?

For instance, dark gray or black decals on a white model can be too much of a contrast and even look out of scale.

In the past I've used white pastel chalk dusted over the decals and then a flat clear coat, however that requires repeating this process a few times in order for the white pastel chalk to tone down the dark color of the decals.

White and light gray pastel chalks seem to mostly disappear when clear is sprayed on top to seal it.

Someone suggested tempera powder but I don't know too much about that.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Flattened Future as a mid-coat?

Gloss--> Decals-->Gloss-->Washes-->Flattened Future--> weathering--> topcoat

(mixing Future w/ Tamiya Flat Base) from Swanny's:

1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin
mix thoroughly!

Be aware if you put too much base, you risk it going all white or frosting the finish. But you can use that to knock the entire finish- decals and all, down to the same level.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

The overcoat with base color technique is what you want.

Essentially you make a glaze or wash out of teh base color and thinner and then spray multiple coats over the decals until you get the results you're looking for.

I've seen this done with the dark gray markings on the current 2-tone USN gray scheme and it works great, gives the decals that faded look without it looking like you just weathered the decals only.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

kenlilly106, do you have a link or pictures showing the overcoat with the base color?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Thanks for posting this link. :)

BTW, my decals now have Future sprayed on top to seal them.

Should I first spray a light coat of flat clear over the decals before I spray on the thinned base color?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I would spray the base color over the future, that way if you spray too much you can remove it easily.

Ken
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

I had used this technique before to tone down panel lines, but not for decals, so I went ahead and sprayed the thinned base color over the decals. I did spray some flat clear on first and it worked very nicely.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Depending upon what I have going on, I'll either use the thinned base color sprayed over the decals or I will tone them down using oil paints. The oil paint method is, of course part of a filter and it is basically just blending, say, gray or white or yellow into the decal. Of course, this assumes said decal (and the rest of the model) have been thoroughly Future coated.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.