Source for 10/0 Brushes?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Source for 10/0 Brushes?

Post by Tchail »

I find that I'm using a lot of 10/0 brushes - Mostly because I've been working on 1/1000 & 1/2500 kits, and I find them to be very useful for fine detail painting.

But the downside is that they're expensive. (Even $2.50 a piece adds up really fast!)

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

I have tried purchasing some very-fine sponges, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Thanks in advance!
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Well, I can tell you what I use for that kind of fine work. I use a piece of monofilament or stretched sprue. Really, you're either "dotting" or pinlining (very short pinlines, given the amount of paint) and they work just fine for that.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

$2.50 a brush is not expensive and if you buy decent ones, and take care of them, they'll last forever.
Abolish Alliteration
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

I frequently use a wooden toothpick, shaped into what I need with a cutter, for fine tasks. Works pretty well, because the wood sucks up paint (I normally use enamels) like a brush, and I can tailor and refresh the "tip" easily. And it's not so costly, I can imagine that such a fine brush only works well in virgin condition, and after two or three uses starts to deteriorate... :|
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu