Paint compatability

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

Paint compatability

Post by jpolacchi »

I'm almost certain that this is a subject that may have been brought up some time ago. I just can't find it/don't know how to look it up? I guess this may be considered relatively basic knowledge, but I often find myself "second guessing" as I know some solvent paints can't be applied over others, it causes weird painting anomalies. Crazing, bubbling as one solvent attacks another. As far as I know, this holds true;

1.lacquer and enamel primers can accept base/solid coats and/or clear coats of, other enamel and lacquers as well as acrylics over cured coats.

2.You cannot apply enamels over acrylics, but you can apply lacquers over acrylics.

3. You can't apply enamels over lacquers.

4. acrylics can accept any water based top coat on it.

5. Lastly, I'm interested in using "urethanes", and from what I can gather, any other solvent paint be it a lacquer, enamel or acrylic can be applied over a dry/cured coast of urethane.
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

You CAN apply enamels over lacquers with no problem. The opposite is not advised, as lacquer usually has a hotter solvent that can dissolve anything under it. In fact, lacquers will dissolve underlying lacquers. I would also not advise applying enamels or lacquers over any water-based paint. By the way, "acrylic" does not necessarily mean "water-based." There are acrylic lacquers and acrylic enamels.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I would never bother with an enamel primer. That's just weird and I don't know who would make that (Testors?). Lacquers (whether they're lacquer or acrylic lacquer, whatever) will be the strongest and hottest. Use a lacquer-based primer such as Tamiya Surface Primer or Mr. Surfacer.

Here in Japan, enamels are used primarily for detail painting and washes. That is to say, they are not used to paint the model's main body color.

Enamels can go on top of acrylics, and acrylics can go on top of enamels, as far as my experience goes.

Never use a clear lacquer to seal decals, since they may eat away at the decal film.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Enamels can go on top of acrylics, and acrylics can go on top of enamels, as far as my experience goes.

Never use a clear lacquer to seal decals, since they may eat away at the decal film.
it also causes them to turn yellow...as I learned the hard way on a model of the USS Reliant. :(
(it was also over an enamel-based white)
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Good reminder. Although I have been told that you can put a lacquer clear coat over acrylic. I know there are acrylic lacquers and such(never used them).That's more 'automotive" application is it not?
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Max Nex wrote:it also causes them to turn yellow...as I learned the hard way on a model of the USS Reliant. :(
I know that Testors Dullcote and Gloss Cote turn everything yellow because they are crap.
jpolacchi wrote:Good reminder. Although I have been told that you can put a lacquer clear coat over acrylic. I know there are acrylic lacquers and such(never used them). That's more 'automotive" application is it not?
No, GSI Creos's Mr. Color paint series are acrylic lacquers, and that is for modeling. The medium is lacquer, while the color is acrylic. It's possible to put a lacquer clear coat over acrylics or enamels, assuming you take it easy and only apply light coats and build it up slowly.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:
Max Nex wrote:it also causes them to turn yellow...as I learned the hard way on a model of the USS Reliant. :(
I know that Testors Dullcote and Gloss Cote turn everything yellow because they are crap.
Yeah , I've heard that before ; Testors should just stop making them !