Urethane primer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

Urethane primer

Post by jpolacchi »

Anyone out there use Urethane primer(s).if so...what's the verdict?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Like the Vallejo? They're more of a color base than primer as they don't react well to sanding. Other than that they work great.
Abolish Alliteration
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I'm not familiar with "Vallejo". I always thought that was an "acrylic paint". I mean...Urethans". it should (I suspect) a 2 paint, a paint reqiuring a catylist.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Works great on real cars and other vehicles that have to have a good weather-proof coating on them. Scale models, not so much. About the only folks who regularly use 2-part urethane paint on models are car modelers, and they usually only use 2-part clears over lacquer or acrylic basecoats to get a super-smooth and shiny finish. The health hazards associated with spraying catalyzed 2-part paint are not to be taken lightly. The way I see it, there's really no value in using 2-part urethane primer on a scale model.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

jpolacchi wrote:I'm not familiar with "Vallejo". I always thought that was an "acrylic paint". I mean...Urethans". it should (I suspect) a 2 paint, a paint reqiuring a catylist.
Urethane doesn't need a catalyst. It encompass a wide range of paints. If you're talking automotive primers, they're often too hot for a lot of plastics.

This is the Vallejo primer http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/primers/family/22
Abolish Alliteration
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I wouldn't think a urethane primer would do a "urethane resin" model or photo etch parts much harm? The only reason I'm considering the use of it is (if memory serves?) the urethane primer can be thinned quite aggressively and won't cover up fine details like an enamel primer and some of the lacquer primers are even "too heavy". The urethane primer should also adhere very well to a resin model.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depends on the primer. Self etching primers tend to bit much more than you'd think. I tend to use lacquer based primers like Mr. Surfacer & Alclad Ii primer.
Abolish Alliteration
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Well, I don't need the "etching primers", that obviously for automotive use or paining on metal surfaces. I'm almost 100% certain that there are other urethane primers made for painting on plastic surfaces because just about all cars these days, a good third are made of plastic. Mr. Surfacer...I haven't used that one yet and never knew Alaclad had a primer. The hobby store I got to (its actually the only one in a 40 mile radius) carried many of the Alaclad metalizer paints. How does the Mr. Surfaced cover? Is it a heavy covering primer, or doe sit go on lightly? Some have heavy fillers in them and they cover up or soften details too much I.M.O.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Both Gunze's Mr. Surfacer, which come in grades form 500 to 1500, and Alclad go down very thing. The Mr. Surfacer 1500 is a semi-gloss finish and thins with lacquer thinner. You can also use their Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for even smoother coats. I have no idea what they put in it but it makes it almost impossible to lay down a bad coat of primer.
Abolish Alliteration