Iwata Eclipse Help Needed!!!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Wug

Iwata Eclipse Help Needed!!!

Post by Wug »

Now my Eclipse sprays lines no wider than 1/8 inch even with the trigger all the way back. It doesn't matter what I spray. This happens with lacquer thinner and Mr. Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr. Thinner.

Damage to the nozzle or needle seem unlikely.

They look okay. I don't remember damaging them the last time I used it. Afterwards it stayed in its foam-lined box. Most importantly the spray pattern is perfectly regular like a paint laser. I wish I could do this intentionally.

I don't think it's dirty.

I disassemble it and clean it after every use. I soak the nozzle, nozzle cap, needle cap and head cap in lacquer thinner. Then I clean the nozzle and paint path with lacquer thinner and coffee filter fragments. Then I check to make sure I can see through the nozzle. I wipe the needle with lacquer thinner. I cleaned it a few of times yesterday and it was still a freaking paint laser.

The trigger action feels normal.

It's a CS with the split handle. It does not have the fluid adjustment nob.

I'm looking at the cutaway part diagram in the instructions. Does the position of the spring guide (part 16) change the needles movement? Maybe I rotated it when I last used it back in May.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

What does the tip do when you pull back the trigger? It sounds like the needle is not pulling back, if so then check your collet that clamps on the back of the needle to make sure its tight to ensure you have the full range of needle action. Also does it only do that with certain paints?
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Contact the folks at TAG Team Hobbies. I bought my Iwata Revolution from them, and also a SmartJet compressor. They know their stuff, and many of their folks are members here on SSM.

http://tagteamhobbies.com/
http://tagteamhobbies.com/contacts.html
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Thanks

gsb5w: I think something limits the needle's movement but the collet was tight. When I moved the trigger forward the spray stopped. Usually if the collet lets the needle slip the spray continues after the trigger is completely forward. Also I disassembled and reassembled it a few times making sure the collet was finger tight each time. I wondering if the spring guide is screwed in too far or not far enough. As stated this happened with pure lacquer thinner and Mr. Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr. Thinner.

Lonewolf: I'll probably send TAG Team an email.

Thanks again.

Mike
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

Wug I just checked my Eclipse and the needle goes all the way in the nozzle when pulled completely back. The whole range of motion looks about 1/16 of an inch. Does yours do the same?
Chas

Post by Chas »

At the very back of the airbrush body is there a knurled knob that tightens and loosens? If so that is probably what limits the travel of the trigger/needle assembly. Try loosening it ans see if that doesn't return things to what you are use to.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.