Monza Red?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Monza Red?

Post by Tchail »

Hey all,

I'm looking for a match for Monza red.

I've been searching, and I can't decide whether Tamiya X7 Red, or maybe Testor's Insignia Red would be the closer match.

Any insight would be appreciated!
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Sounds like an automotive color to me. I'd try Modelmaster's "Italian Red," assuming it's still available. Testors has been discontinuing a lot of the Modelmaster colors.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
dizzyfugu

Re: Monza Red?

Post by dizzyfugu »

Tchail wrote:Hey all,

Where does the color belong to/come from? If it is a real car color, using the actual car paint is a good way to go; many colors are available in a rattle can, either from the manufacturers themselves or as generic offers, and these tend to be water-based acrylics these days.

I have used this "method" successfully several times when I built car models or converted/customized 1:43 scale die cast cars.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

In the auto industry, "Monza Red" is a car maker's interpretation of the red used by Ferrari without actually using the name.

IMO Testor's Insignia Red or Humbrol's Signal Red would be closest. Tamiya's is a shade too dark.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Hmmm, Humbrol does a Ferrari Red tone (220, both enamel and acrylics), as well as Model Master. And I have heard that Tamiya TS-49 (Bright Red) is supposed to be a decent alternative. But I understand the problem, and it's tough.

I had a 1:24 Fiat 500 on the bench which was to be painted in something as Ferrari-ish as possible, and eventually ended up with an Alfa Romeo tone (rattle can) - chosen by subjective impression and in direct comparison with many other options.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Testors does offer Italian Red under the Model Master brand.

I'm building Analyzer, from Space Battleship Yamato 2199, so it's not like I need an exact color.

:P
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I had a hunch you were color pickin' for Analyzer, I was going through my gloss reds for my build too. I didn't like the "Ferrari" Reds. (Monza, Italian Red, Guards Red, etc)

Testors has a nice line of Automotive Lacquer colors, and I'm going with Honduras Maroon- a GM/Chevy color.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

After watching Episode 4 last night, it looks like the paint instructions are wrong when it calls for Black. His head and chest aren't quite that dark.

I think Graphite would be a better match.

And I just painted the silver details on his head and chest.

Sigh...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dizzyfugu wrote:
Tchail wrote:Hey all,

Where does the color belong to/come from? If it is a real car color, using the actual car paint is a good way to go; many colors are available in a rattle can, either from the manufacturers themselves or as generic offers, and these tend to be water-based acrylics these days.

I have used this "method" successfully several times when I built car models or converted/customized 1:43 scale die cast cars.
I had a bad experience with automotive paint because the propellant used melted the styrene of a kit.
Salamander
SCI-FI

Post by SCI-FI »

Salamander wrote:[...] I had a bad experience with automotive paint because the propellant used melted the styrene of a kit.
Ouchie. Did you use primer?