How Do I Mask This

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

How Do I Mask This

Post by TD1701 »

Hey Everybody!

I am looking for the best solution to mask the lower sensor dome for the TOS Enterprise. I have this aftermarket part for the 18" Enterprise, and I want to mask the dome to paint the ring only so I can light it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've attached a picture of the part in question.

Thanks,

Tom

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac32 ... .35.19.jpg
SCI-FI

Re: How Do I Mask This

Post by SCI-FI »

TD1701 wrote: I am looking for the best solution to mask the lower sensor dome for the TOS Enterprise. I have this aftermarket part for the 18" Enterprise, and I want to mask the dome to paint the ring only so I can light it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I would try a liquid masking film, or Silly Putty (trimmed to shape with a hobby knife).

Best-
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I can't click the link because I'm at work and Photobucket is blocked, but I can imagine what you want to do. I'll tell you that Tamiya has recently came out with a new masking tape intended for curved surfaces. I recently used it to mask around the shuttle bay door on my PL 1:1000 Enterprise Refit and it worked like a charm! It may take a while before you start seeing it in hobby stores outside of Japan, but I'm sure you can order some online.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Silly putty or Parafilm-M from TAG Team Hobbies.
Abolish Alliteration
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

I actually have some parafilm lying around the house! I will give it a try, and let you know how it works out. Thanks!!!!
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

If you don't like the way the Parafilm works out, you can try frisket film (art
supply stores will carry it). I've also used Bare Metal Foil for complex masking
but it can be a little tricky on curved surfaces.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

BMF would be my next pick. Tamiya tape will work but there's a greater chance for paint leaking under because of the wrinkles it'd have.

Just make sure to trim the Parafilm with a new blade.
Abolish Alliteration
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

My results were not so good. It seems that every time I try and peel the parafilm off after painting the paint chips off as well. It's as if the paint doesn't want to stick to the resin.:( I've tried it twice with the same result. I did use a brand new blade so I would get the cleanest cut. I'm tempted to just put on the AMT part and be done with it.
Chas

Post by Chas »

TD1701 wrote:My results were not so good. It seems that every time I try and peel the parafilm off after painting the paint chips off as well. It's as if the paint doesn't want to stick to the resin.:( I've tried it twice with the same result. I did use a brand new blade so I would get the cleanest cut. I'm tempted to just put on the AMT part and be done with it.
By 'paint' do you mean paint or primer?
If you used paint try priming first. If you used primer, which primer did you use? Did you wash the part off first? (possible mould release residue is preventing adherence.)
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Resin typically needs primed but it depends on the resin & the primer. It's also best, with more masking, to pull the mask before the paint has fully cured.
Abolish Alliteration
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

I did wash the parts and I meant primer instead of paint, sorry about that. I tried both Tamaya gray primer, and Krylon gray primer. I've masked it a third time now, and will spray it tomorrow with Testors primer. I'm not ready to quit yet, I'm going to make this work somehow.
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

I'm sorry to say my last attempt with parafilm did not work out. The film turned into a goo, and the paint always seems to chip away from the ring around the dome. I'm posting a picture of how my last attempt worked out. I may try liquid mask next, and I'm not sure about using BMF or Silly Putty. I've stripped the paint off, and I am back to square one.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac32 ... .38.40.jpg