Clear Coating With Future Floor Wax

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Clear Coating With Future Floor Wax

Post by TD1701 »

I've just finished my Polar Lights TOS Klingon D-7 and wanted to try clear coating it with Future floor wax. I have never used it before and was looking for some tips for applying it to the model. Is it applied with an airbrush, and does it have to be thinned? What about cleaning the airbrush afterwards?

Thanks,

Tom
VarneyJLV

Post by VarneyJLV »

I just spray it though my airbrush, no thinning required. I just spray it though my airbrush as-is, no thinning required. I then clean the airbursh with Windex. Overall it is pretty simple.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Try it on a test subject before you commit to using it in your finished models. Since it's so thin, it's easy to get runs if you aren't careful.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Be careful not to apply it too heavily or it will run and pool in recesses. If you do get carried away you can tilt the piece so the Future runs to an edge then touch a paper towel to it and it will wick off onto the toweling. For smaller subjects or those with lots of angles and recesses I brush it on.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Chas

Post by Chas »

If you are using it as the final coat you may want to flatten it a bit (Tamiya flat base works) otherwise your ship will loose a lot of the sense of scale and end up looking like something from the 'Fast and Furious' franchise. :shock:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I've been using the same bottle of Future since 2011 or so, back from when I used to live in the USA. Its consistency is starting to change over the years, so I find it necessary to thin it with some alcohol a bit because it's becoming a bit too thick. When it was brand new bottle, though, I had no problems with it spraying out thickly.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration