Removing dried acrylic paint?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Removing dried acrylic paint?

Post by sbaxter »

My wife uses loads of Apple Barrel-type craft paint for her various crafts. While she is an excellent artist (far better than I am with traditional media, without question), she is not very careful with her brushes. Some of those she really likes have thick, dry paint clogging the bristles. Will Testors (or some other company's) dried paint solvent remove the paint and leave the brush usable?

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

Murphy's Oil Soap, or a bottle of "Graffiti Remover" and a little patience.

You can also just try the old trick of soaking them in warm water, and then use hand gel and rub the bristles clean...
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

^^^^^ Those will work ^^^^^. I use straight Simple Green and suspend my dried brushes in a jar for a day or two (don't leave the brush sitting on it's bristles or they could bend) and the dried paint turns to a jelly and is easily washed out. If you're using natural hair brushes use a small dab of hair conditioner on the bristles to restore flexibility. Rinse it out and let them air dry and they should be a good as new.
Never let success go to your head.....And never let failure go to your heart.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Thanks, guys. I was able to fix the brush she wanted to use with a soaking for a few hours in Superclean.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

FIRE
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Stu Pidasso wrote:FIRE
Points for efficacy, but aegrescit medendo.

Qapla'

SSB
duck

Post by duck »

Windex.
Burn your dead.