Anyone know of a printable masking medium?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Havoc

Anyone know of a printable masking medium?

Post by Havoc »

Heya Folks,

I'm looking to create masks for a dazzle pattern on a sci-fi armor project..
Having spent about two months last year masking and painting a digital camo pattern square by square on a tank, I'm looking to make this project a little easier by creating the pattern on the computer and then printing it out onto artist's masking film/paper. So, that being said, does anyone know of a printable masking medium akin to Frisket that will run through a computer printer?

Thanks!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
I love the smell of Resin in the Morning!!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

http://www.texascraft.com/hps/Waterproo ... ive-Vinyl/

Inkjet-printable white vinyl with a non-permanent adhesive. 3mils thick, which is not terribly thick, but may not work on compound curves very well.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There are a few laser cut-able masking materials out there. Matt @ Laserfire Creations has been playing with them.

Then there's having vinyl cut but make sure to get the stretchy low tack car vinyl. Talk with the people doing the cutting they can advise. Biggest issue with getting vinyl cut is often times the minimum cut size is larger than what you might like.

Hence the laser cut stuff.
Abolish Alliteration
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Thanks, Guys!

I really appreciate the help!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
I love the smell of Resin in the Morning!!
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Avery (the label people) makes white 8 1/2" x 11" labels for laser printers in boxes of 25 and 100. The adhesive is pretty strong, however.

You can also make your own masking templates by printing on plain paper and using a light dusting of spray adhesive on the reverse side to hold them on your model while airbrushing.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

I have a Silhouette cutter. It is advertised as a tool for Scrapbooking. I use it as a vinyl cutter for making masks. I mainly use it to make masks for glass etching but a few times I have used it to make masks for some models.

I made the masks so I could paint the markings on the 1:350 TOS Enterprise.

I drew up the artwork in CAD and exported the file to DXF format and then used the cutter software to load it up. With the CAD software I can get fairly accurate. I even made masks of all the windows on the model. The smallest was around 1.5mm dia.

I use dollar store maktak for the vinyl material. It is cheap and is not as sticky as the more expensive vinyl.

If you don't plan to make too many of your own masks then it is an expensive tool so you might see if someone you know has one or get a vinyl printing service to do it for you.