Bottle equivalent of Tamiya AS-16 spray?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jimboh1

Bottle equivalent of Tamiya AS-16 spray?

Post by jimboh1 »

Painting my 1/144 Falconwith the spray and am looking for bottled equivalent for touch-ups.

Anyone know what it is please?
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

what's AS-16 ????
without a name it is meaningless
or (I hate to say it) an FS number
Chas

Post by Chas »

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-f ... f%29-86516

I assume you want to brush it on for the touch-ups?
Otherwise you could just decant it for use in an airbrush.
According to this paint chart HERE
it is FS 36492 which matches to Vallejo sky Grey, Tamiya XF-66, Humbrol 196 light grey and Testors MM 2038 (FS36492) among others. ( it's on page
99 - 101 of the PDF never could get the 'online' version to work.

From the look of the images I get from google I'd go with Testors. although that's an Enamel paint and the Tamiya is a lacquer.
best bet is to tke the cap with you and go compare the colours live and in person.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
jimboh1

Post by jimboh1 »

Chas wrote:it is FS 36492 which matches to Vallejo sky Grey, Tamiya XF-66, Humbrol 196 light grey and Testors MM 2038 (FS36492) among others.

Thanks; I read that online too and had bought 2 bottles of XF-66; it is SIGNIFICANTLY darker than AS-16.

Thanks though! Guess I will keep trying!

Jim
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chas

Post by Chas »

From what I saw fro google I suspected as much, hence the last part of my previous post.

Have you looked at the testors MM 2038?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

In my (limited) experience, you won't get a good match. For example, I had used Tamiya's semigloss black spray can on something, and I used their acrylic semigloss black for touching up. They were both semigloss black, but the acrylic had a different sheen to it. So I just sprayed some into a paint tray and brushed it on that way. It looked a lot better.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"