Using primer on small models

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

Using primer on small models

Post by nanook177 »

I'm looking for an opinion. Considering the size and detail on small scale kits, like 1/2500 Star Trek ships, would it be better to not use a primer for fear of losing some of the finer details. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

You could use Tamiya Fine Primer, or Mr. Surfacer 1000 or higher. Mist them with light coats.

I once skipped priming and I'd rather not make that mistake again. Some people never prime their models, but I find them easier to work with after priming.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I like the $1 (ish) primer at Walmart. Probably the only reason I ever go there. It's thin and would be terrible to put on your car, but it's perfect for settling into even the smallest details.

-Rog
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

I use Canadian Tire Auto Primer (scratch filling and sandable). And I can lay that stuff on like there is no tomorrow. And the detail is still there. It dries quick, and snugs down real nice. Doesn't clog my sandpaper (I wet sand anyways), and takes a polish. It is a little hot though, so I have to be careful on thinner plastic (010 and down).

Grab a part, grab the primer, and test. Test. Test.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I used to just use the first light colour as my "primer" coat. Worked fine as long as I was using enamels. Problems arose when I started using more acrylics, they had more difficulty sticking to the plastic.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Johnnycrash wrote:I use Canadian Tire Auto Primer (scratch filling and sandable). And I can lay that stuff on like there is no tomorrow. And the detail is still there. It dries quick, and snugs down real nice. Doesn't clog my sandpaper (I wet sand anyways), and takes a polish. It is a little hot though, so I have to be careful on thinner plastic (010 and down).

Grab a part, grab the primer, and test. Test. Test.
Sounds like the Dupli-Color High-Build Filler Primer they sell at O'Reilly Auto Parts here in the States. Great stuff. Lays down smooth and dries quick!
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

No matter the size of the project, I prime everything, and I use the cheap black, grey and flat white from the Dollar General with no problems. I did have one resin project that I had to use automotive primer on and that was the only one. I mostly use acrylics and a few enamels for my main colors but I do have a friend that shoots laquer based paints without priming straight on the plastic without problems.