Anyone try liquid gold leaf paints?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kenlilly106

Anyone try liquid gold leaf paints?

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've started watching Stargate SG-1 again and have thought about building my MRC Anubis figure kit.

Looking to get a decent gold/gilded effect on certain parts of it, I don't like the look of Testor's gold or any of the "metallic" paints that have a large flake size and look like glitter.

I saw these paints in my local Michael's store last night and wanted to ask of anyone had tried either or both of them?

This one I think will be the best choice and is the cheaper of the two:
http://www.plaidonline.com/liquid-leaf- ... roduct.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Pebeo-Vitrail-Sta ... B005J55XPS

Ken
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

If you can spray them they look great. If you brush them it's hard to get it even enough that you don't see light/dark streaks and individual metal flakes.

But I've also sprayed Ceramcoat gold and it looked fantastic, so an airbrush makes a big difference with even cheap paints.

-Rog
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

A good cake place should have pure gold dust. Make sure it's the superfine powder, and 24 k.

I've used this for a cake and you mix it with alcohol (vodka, 151, etc.) and paint it on. It looks like gold leaf when finished. Smooth and shiny.

Kev
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

If you are just picking out small details, then go with a gold paint pen by Prismacolor. They are super bright gold with very fine pigment. Just make sure to apply it AFTER all the other weathering and clear coats are applied.

If you want to Airbrush the color just use Alclad. They now have an acrylic clear coat that you can apply over the lacquer that keeps the colors nice and bright.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert