Tamiya paint/thinner over decals and Future?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Tamiya paint/thinner over decals and Future?

Post by DeltaVee »

I've applied the Acreation panel decals to the Moebius Galactica and sealed with Future. Could I give the whole thing a light dusting of Tamiya metallic gray thinned with Tamiya thinner or would that do terrible things to the Future and the decals? Thanks.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

It will almost certainly etch the Future. The Tamiya thinner is basically isopropyl alcohol. If you mist or wash ISO over Future, at best it fogs and at worst, it pits.

Were it me, I would thin a petroleum-based metallic with artists' turpentine or lighter fluid and make a wash or mist it that way.

I would avoid using the Tamiya paint over the Future if you can. The reason being is the paint itself in the bottle also has a sizable amount of iso thinning it. So, even if you thinned with water and Flow-Aid, the risk of at least fogging is still there.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

Edit: You also might try thinning the Tamiya with Future. That would avoid any potential problems.

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. That saved me much grief. I may try an experiment with Tamiya and Future, but it sounds like the best course is an enamel mist coat.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've found the Tamiya metals to have largish flake size. Thinning them tends to just make matters worse. The Lt. suggestion is a good one.

For the record I have misted Alclad over Future w/o issue.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. That's also good intel. Seems like I always read people using Tamiya metallic and figured it was fairly fine grain. It looks fine grain in the bottle. But that Alclad tip is supreme.
I did the base finish in MM Light Ghost Gray. I've applied the Acreation rib and panel decals. Do I need to seal everything good in future before applying the Alclad or can I just spray the Alclad mist?
And I assume Alclad has some shade darker than aluminum that will help blend the panel decals a bit?
(Nobody's ever confirmed whether the show intended the ships to be gray or metallic, and I've seen indications of both, so I'm hedging my bets.)