MicroSOL/SET over Humbrol acrylic clear issue?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

MicroSOL/SET over Humbrol acrylic clear issue?

Post by SJM »

Recently decided to try the Humbrol acrylic clear as a replacement to Tamiya's clear spray and noticed something weird when I applied some decals to a test piece using my usual MicroSOL/SET combo.

The Micro SET seems to not interact with the clear at all and go on fine but the SOL seems to produce this very noticeable mess around the decal where the SOL has been applied. It's like it's reacting with the clear varnish which has been cured over night.
It doesn't bubble or melt but just makes the base paint appear a shade or two lighter and makes the paint around the decal look brushed on somewhat. I will be applying a second gloss over the test part when everything dries to see if that fixes it but I'm not too hopeful..

I am aware of Humbrol decal fix, but I've heard that this product doesn't like tamiya paints, which I use exclusively.

Any pointers?
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That can happen as the Sol softens the surface of the clear coat. Let it sit & it'll usually return to clear.
Abolish Alliteration
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Kylwell wrote:That can happen as the Sol softens the surface of the clear coat. Let it sit & it'll usually return to clear.

Interesting! I'll try that out, the part looks better now than it did originally so you might be right. I additional coat of clear might improve things.

Thanks
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I've never had any problems with Humbrol decalfix and Tamiya paints, though I prefer Microset/sol.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson