decals over flat paint.....need advice

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lonnie Sweet

decals over flat paint.....need advice

Post by Lonnie Sweet »

Hi all, I have a flat black model (stealth X-wing) I want to put some decals on, obviously I'll need a glosscote before the decals, but is there any trick to bringing the flat back (as flat as possible)? Or is it a simple matter of spraying dullcote over the gloss and decals? The issue I'm wondering about is, I want the paint to be super flat, but the decals to not appear misty or extra dull, if that makes sense.
"There is no charge for awesomeness"
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

The only way to give it a flat coated look is to apply a dull coat once the decals have dried. You could always do a practice application to see if the decals would look 'foggy'.
Normal?? What is normal??
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

If you are using an airbrush, pump up the air pressure. I've had some success at 30psi when spraying semi-gloss black, it comes out with a nice flat sheen. It is one of my favorite techniques when painting instrument panels. Of course I did it with flat black once and no amount of gloss coating pulled it out of the flat zone, and it was rough to handle as well.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Gloss
Decal
Gloss
Dull

Don't expect a single coat of dull to do the trick, two or more light coats will do the trick.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati