Toning Down Refit Aztec Decals?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

dchimpy

Toning Down Refit Aztec Decals?

Post by dchimpy »

Hi

I'm new to posting here so forgive me if this has been covered in another thread. I'm working on the polar lights 1:1000 refit, and I'm ready to apply my base color. I've noticed that many folks have used basic white or pearl white, but I'm interested in finding a way to tone down the contrast between the base color and the aztec decals as much as possible. I'm trying to decide between using an off white/very light grey base coat, or spraying the decaled model with matte clear coat with a drop of white in it to cover the model with a milky haze. Another thought was to tone down the aztec decals with white pastels after the decals have been applied. Any opinions/suggestions of better techniques anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Erratic Ensign

Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Overspraying would be the better way to go. It would be hard to get coverage as even if you used pastels.

You could either use a clear with some paint added, or really thin down your paint as the overcoat and lightly mist it on.

Of course - test your mix first! Nothing worse than trying something out on the model itself and finding out it's not working! (guess how I know) Give your test piece the whole treatment: base coat of the paint you use, decal (if you have any spare/leftovers from the kit, use those) and any other treatment you've given the model. That way you know exactly how it will work on the model.

Kev
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

I'd also suggest a thin(ed), even layer of the basic color under the decals on top of them. Airbrush recommended - it is also possible to do that through dry-brushing, but this looks rather like a worn marking, and at a small scale like this it's not really approriate. Would look too dirty.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu