How to cure paint that won't dry?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

How to cure paint that won't dry?

Post by DeltaVee »

I have 3 of the same 3D printed model. I've repainted 2 of them at least 3 times because the paint won't dry in 2 areas - same place on both models. I've been using Floquil enamels. This last time I stripped both models down to the base material and repainted with Gunze spray primer and they seemed to dry. Then I painted and got the same non-dried paint. It's not like this is uncured resin.
If I spray a coat of Future over them - as I plan to anyway for a wash - will that just seal the sticky paint in place, and I can finish the job?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Have you tried acrylics?
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I've not tried acrylic paint on these. Hate to strip down to the bare nylon and try again. I prefer enamels, and in this case, I wanted to paint these a mix of Floquil reefer white and grime that I like.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Enamel over nylon sometimes does the same as enamel over vinyl I've found, i.e. it doesn't dry and will remain sticky forever. I had that happen recently on something I thought was ABS, but turned out to be nylon. The only safe option is to strip it and come back with an acrylic I think. I've tried sealing it before (on vinyl though), and while that fixed it temporarily, it eventually became sticky again.

-Rog
chasd25

Post by chasd25 »

When we paint printed nylon at the shop we use either feather fill (polyester based filling primer), or a true lacquer automotive primer, Du-pont 131S.

Could try Tamiya white primer or Gunze Mr. Surfacer, both in spray cans, they are both lacquer based.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks guys. Chad, I did prime it with Gunz Mr. Surfacer or Primer Surfacer, which I understand is laquer based and rumored to regular Dupont auto primer in a smaller, more expensive quantity. The primer dried, so I re-sprayed and the same areas still had soft paint. That's what threw me.
chasd25

Post by chasd25 »

DeltaVee wrote:Thanks guys. Chad, I did prime it with Gunz Mr. Surfacer or Primer Surfacer, which I understand is laquer based and rumored to regular Dupont auto primer in a smaller, more expensive quantity. The primer dried, so I re-sprayed and the same areas still had soft paint. That's what threw me.
That is odd...the only thing I could recommend is giving it time to dry out, and see what happens. You could make a Hot box out of a foil lined file box, with a light bulb for heat. We used to do that for quick drying/curing. We now have a "Hot Room" that maintains about 100-120 degrees for drying paints, curing parts.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

FIRE
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

Sorry can't help you with the paint as I'm in the same boat. I ordered an M1918 tank from Shapeways, cleaned throughly, primed and then painted with Testors enamels. Two weeks later it still isn't cured.

Personally I think enamel paint and 3D printing plastic hate each other. I'm going to have to strip it off and use Acrylics.
Never let success go to your head.....And never let failure go to your heart.
chasd25

Post by chasd25 »

Keep us posted, I'm interested in how this turns out. Our shop paints ALOT of printed parts....going back 15+ years to the first SLA stuff, never saw anything like this happen.

Never anything from shape ways, so I don't know what they are printing stuff in. We're painting polyjet parts off Objet machines, SLS Nylon, SLA, etc...all using automotive acrylic lacquers, never had any issues.

Charlie
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

I had this happen once with Testors spray. Two weeks in the basement bathroom with the dehumidifier going constantly finally took care of it.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER