Guilding the hull...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

wetphoenix

Guilding the hull...

Post by wetphoenix »

Metal foil the kind for embossing and guilding. gonna use it to do real metal finish on a hull. anybody ever do this?

I'm going to use elmers glue thined with water so I can spray it out of a mister.
I have a practice project to experiment on. but any thoughts will be appreciated.

I saw a guy do a paint scheme on a silver foiled plane and he painted it in such a way as it looked like metal does when it is heated . where it gets orange purple and blue where the heat changed the color. anyone know how to do that effect?
Johnnycrash

Re: Guilding the hull...

Post by Johnnycrash »

wetphoenix wrote:anybody ever do this?
Not a full hull, but bits and pieces.

I would suggest using a proper Metal Leaf Adhesive. It can be gotten at just about any decent craft store. It is ready to use right from the bottle.

Also, only do a small section at a time. The adhesive is applied, then allowed to dry (about 60 minutes or so), but with large areas sticky... It's hard to work. Pick panel lines as the stop/start place.

anyone know how to do that effect?
Simple: Paint it orange, purple and blue. Acrylics are best, as they will blend better. Use the transparent colours over silver or metal foil. As well, add a little Smoke. Some metal also gets darker before it changes to the colours.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
wetphoenix

Post by wetphoenix »

I thought about using that glue, do you brush it on? my concern was that if it was too thich it may cover un even and cause a crappy uneven finish.

The stop start at a panel line is a brilliant idea, than you. I know I would have made a mess trying to work as I go.

transparent over silver... should have figured that out.

thanks
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

wetphoenix wrote:I thought about using that glue, do you brush it on? my concern was that if it was too thich it may cover un even and cause a crappy uneven finish.
Not if you brush it on evenly, and avoid any puddling or pooling. It's pretty thin, and flows well. Best to experiment with scrap parts.
The stop start at a panel line is a brilliant idea, than you. I know I would have made a mess trying to work as I go.
Yeah, been there. Being stuck ON it, is one thing, being stuck TO it, is another. :shock:

As well, when burnishing down the BMF (I just use the cheapest Aluminum Foil from the grocery store - shiny side gives you polished aluminum, the dull side gives you titanium), use a variety of tools -- Q-Tips, cotton balls, your finger... Nothing with sharp edges. You catch it just a little, and it's toast. I have even used a Popsicle stick (sanded the edges round). But plastic tube/rod works too.
transparent over silver... should have figured that out.
It's obvious. You know, once someone else points it out to you. :D
John Fleming
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sizing, the glue used to bond metal leaf to what-ever, is the best was to go. It's slow drying time lets you get all the bumps & bubbles out. Applying gold leaf is very, very different than working with aluminum foil or Bare Metal Foil. Stuff'll tear if you look @ it wrong. You also need to make sure, given the thinness of gilding foils, that you surface is perfectly smooth.

You can get the metal to change color using various chemicals like vinegar. This is normally done with aluminum type foils.

Honestly, despite the prep issues, Alaclad II is easier to use. Or you can try the Hasegawa Finish Foil.
Abolish Alliteration
wetphoenix

Post by wetphoenix »

I bought 100 sheets of foil from China really cheap. because it was cheap I thought I'd try to finish the master project..
I want it to look metal, real metal. not that painted silver.
you guys give me pause wondering if this is the best route. I suppose it wont be great at first but I got 100 sheets to mess up.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I used goldleaf on numerous art projects. It's got a steep learning curve.

And Alclad II looks like metal because, well it is. Do not compare it to 'silver' paint.
Abolish Alliteration
wetphoenix

Post by wetphoenix »

Alclad is the plan B when the foil gets thrown away..
SpaceRanger1

Foiled again!

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Use Microscale's Micro Metal Foil Adhesive and ordinary kitchen aluminum foil. See here for a great how-to article:

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import ... tning1.pdf
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Johnnycrash

Re: Foiled again!

Post by Johnnycrash »

Runtime Error. There is an issue with your URL. Parts are missing, indicated by the /.../.
John Fleming
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I fixed it.
Abolish Alliteration
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Kylwell wrote:I fixed it.
Thanks. I don't know why the URL didn't paste completely.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark