Frog/Painters tape

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

david bailey

Frog/Painters tape

Post by david bailey »

Anybody have tried this stuff for modeling?? I bought some at Wal Mart to try out,just looking for any advice or opinions on this stuff and what everyone esle is useing.
david bailey
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Frog Tape works great for water based paint. I bought it without reading the package though, and I guess it has some kind of water-absorbing stuff in it that makes a seal along the edge. However, use it with spray paint, oils, or enamels and it will make a giant mess. There's a vague warning about that on the label, but it's definitely worse than what they allude to.

I think I'll just stick with mostly 3M green tape. No residue, you can leave it on forever (unlike the horrible blue tape), and it's made to mask cars so it'll work with any type of paint. If you stick it to your shirt first it won't pull up fresh paint either.

-Rog
david bailey

Posting a reply

Post by david bailey »

Thanks for the information on the frog tape,I genereally use 3m tape products.And on certaion instances i use Taymi painters tape for masking.I also use general yellow masking tape.For tape residue i use three things RUBBING ALCOHOL,GOOF OFF, WD-40.There is probable others that will remove tape crud.These just work for me.I will return the frog tape since it can not be used for modeling purposes. It seems no matter what tape i use i always get paint bleed through,this is after burnishing it down and i use the paint trick of sticking it to my shirt. I Think alot of is due to to weather,heat and humdity in my work shop which is my garage,the heat gets real hot in the summer.i usually work at nite in the evening hours. I have fans to circulate the air,sometimes this effects my paint especially in the winter months.
david bailey
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Frog Tape has a yellow tape for delicate surfaces that is virtually identical to Tamiya tape in appearance and performance for a much lower price. I think this particular tape is called Kabuki rice paper tape. It's available at paint supply places like Sherwin-Williams in three different widths and I think even Wal-Mart sells the 1" version.