Using Gundam markers for preshading panel lines?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Using Gundam markers for preshading panel lines?

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Hi, has anyone ever used Gundam markers for preshading panel lines? Or any marker for that matter? While doing a search, I saw a picture of somebody on another forum who used a Sharpie pen on a Trek model for preshading. He airbrushed enamel paint. Somebody said that this is inadvisable for acrylic or lacquer paints, I believe.

I can see how maybe lacquer paint can not be good on top of an alcohol-based marker, but I have yet to test this out on anything.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I've used a Sharpie in a few cases. But you have to be aware that it will float to the top no matter how many coats of paint you cover it with. So, under white it will not work as a subtle pre-shading. But for darker colors it's a good way to do it if you want sharp panel lines. The way a Sharpie will always migrate through paint can definitely be used to your advantage.

-Rog
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Rogviler wrote:I've used a Sharpie in a few cases. But you have to be aware that it will float to the top no matter how many coats of paint you cover it with.
Hi, what do you mean by "float to the top"? Does it do something to the paint?

I have also seen Tamiya Paint Pens. These are enamel paint markers and I imagine that they may work in the same way.
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Somehow it migrates up through the layers of paint. It's a strange phenomenon. I discovered it by accident once when I marked something with a Sharpie and then put probably six coats of paint on it trying to cover it up. I'd think I finally got it and then I'd come back ten minutes later and there it was again. I've seen others using it effectively. Granted, it doesn't come back at full strength, but if you cover it with white you'll end up with fairly dark gray lines. So a tricky tip or a dire warning, depending on your perspective. ;)

-Rog
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Hmm. That is interesting. I wonder how those Tamiya paint pens behave. Since they aren't Sharpies and are in fact enamel paints, I imagine that they must behave a bit differently. Coating paints on top of enamel shouldn't be a problem.
Greg
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've done this:

Base coat acrylic.
Micron pen black on panel lines. (Similar to Sharpie ink)
Overcoat with post-shading, also acrylic.

Did not need to do panel line washes, the overcoat tinted the black very nicely.

Hotter solvent paints like lacquer might be a little more tricky, but maybe not. You should experiment on an old spare kit.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
eeun

Post by eeun »

I tried this with a non-permanent whiteboard marker, and it bled through as many layers of paint as I could apply, and never feathered out to a soft edge like I'd hoped. It just looked like I'd drawn on the test piece with a failing magic marker.
World's Tallest Jawa!
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

I've been watching a video series by YouTuber StryderPrime in which he is building and painting both the original and the new 2199 Dessler Command Carrier ship simultaneously. He's using Gundam Real Touch markers on the primed surface for preshading. Here's the 5th video in the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPbGuRn5J_I

I believe he's using Mr. Hobby Color red lacquer paints.
Greg
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I hated to start a new thread just for this question and thought this thread might be relevant: What is the Gundam Marker GM300 Marker Pen Eraser for? Does it erase Gundam marker paint?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It contains a solvent so touching up excess markings. It doesn't work with all the pens and can affect some paints.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Ah, a product designed so I can carefully and with great flair deliberately screw up a build once and for all that was only 'not quite contest-worthy.' Thanks.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yup.

It's largely made for those who don't fully paint Gundam but rather use the markers to hilight & paint a few parts.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Once again, "if it sounds too good to be true..."