Rustoleum primer filler?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

glb585

Rustoleum primer filler?

Post by glb585 »

Hey everyone, has anyone here used Rustoleum primer filler to help to smooth out stubborn seams on plastic? It's a high build formula that says it will fill minor imperfections. Thanks for any feedback.
"The bathroom is the last bastion of American freedom"
Eric Cartman
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Rustoleum paints are usually not particularly friendly to most types of styrene used in kits. If you can, go to an auto parts store and get some Duplicolor brand Filler-Primer. Duplicolor paints normally work better on styrene, but keep the coats light so the paint doesn't adversely attack the plastic.

A hobby filler-primer like Mr Surfacer 500 is probably a better choice, but it's often hard to find and expensive.

You may actually need to put some putty over the seam and sand it smooth, then prime it to check for defects.

Fill, sand, prime, repeat. That's the mantra for most plastic modelers, especially for AMT kits.
glb585

Post by glb585 »

Thanks Joseph and yes, putty sand repeat several times already and I can still feel it more than I can see it and I am putting Metalizer down for the finish and we all know how that can show flaws!
"The bathroom is the last bastion of American freedom"
Eric Cartman