Kleen Strip-PLEASE READ

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
saiyagohan
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:03 pm
Location: Tiffin,Ohio
Contact:

Kleen Strip-PLEASE READ

Post by saiyagohan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:46 am

PLEASE READ- A word of advice to all modelers that want to restore old resin kits, DO NOT USE-Klean Strip Stripper in the can or in the other liquid form. I read that this was supposed to work, but it worked alright, it literally destroyed the resin causing it to literally dissolve. And it was used as directed 15 minutes and wiped off. The bottom faired a little better only because I wiped it off after about a minute, but topside I waited 15 minutes. I might be able to save this adding detail back where it was destroyed by using putty,sanding and a lot of hard work. I sold some of my kits I had built in the past to another modeler and I went on his blog and he used this to remove the paint off one of the kits I built that he bought and it worked good on his, but on mine it as I said destroyed the detail and ate away at the resin. The pictures of the model finished is what it looked like before I used the stripper on it. I am really upset I liked this model very much, and it is not being made anymore I can only try to fix it.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... MG0201.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... MG0203.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... MG0204.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... MG0207.jpg

This is what the model looked like before Klean Strip:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... est005.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... est010.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... st0061.jpg

And this is I stuff I do not recommend:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... MG0209.jpg


I don't know if it was the kind of resin used in making the old ASK Models kit or the Klean Strip, but I am saddened by this I really liked this model. But it is my hope that I can help someone else here to not make the mistake I made.
What do the USS Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.

User avatar
Joseph Osborn
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: Alabamastan
Contact:

Post by Joseph Osborn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:49 am

I have never heard of this extremely harsh chemical being recommended to strip paint from any sort of plastic/resin kit! Who on earth said this would work?? About the harshest chemical you'd ever need to strip paint would be Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Usually Super Clean or Purple Power is adequate and does not harm the plastic at all.


It says right on the front of the can that it strips polyurethane! That's what resin is-- polyurethane!

User avatar
saiyagohan
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:03 pm
Location: Tiffin,Ohio
Contact:

Post by saiyagohan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 am

Joseph Osborn wrote:I have never heard of this extremely harsh chemical being recommended to strip paint from any sort of plastic/resin kit! Who on earth said this would work?? About the harshest chemical you'd ever need to strip paint would be Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Usually Super Clean or Purple Power is adequate and does not harm the plastic at all.


It says right on the front of the can that it strips polyurethane! That's what resin is-- polyurethane!
Well I'm learning more and more. I never knew resin was polyurethane. But out of respect for the person who used this on a resin model, I would prefer to keep his name out of this thread. I am the one who thought this would work and the only reason I posted this is to help others not make such a stupid mistake as I did.
What do the USS Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.

User avatar
SpaceRanger1
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Carrollton, Texas

Post by SpaceRanger1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:30 am

Sounds as if this stuff might be used to cement resin kits together, if applied in small quantities.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark

User avatar
Bellerophon
Posts: 1963
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: Near Grovers Mill, NJ, just outside of heat ray range, I hope
Contact:

Post by Bellerophon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:09 pm

George, I don't know either what resin your Norway was made from, and it might be a softer resin. I notice the paint stripper you used is a spray, though I don't know what difference that would make. Fortunately, the shape of your kit is still okay, so hopefully some puttying and sanding can restore it.

Here's the post he's referring to, to which I just added a warning. In it I recommended Klean Strip to remove stubborn paint from resin. I used it on a Starcraft Saber, and the paint practically fell off when I tested it on a small area. Since it worked safely, I smeared the whole thing with Klean Strip. Since it worked so fast, I didn't leave it on long. I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush, rinsed off the residue with water, and the resin was unharmed. I cleaned it up with some paint thinner. In the post I also show how aggressively this stuff will attack styrene.

On another note, I'm always hearing you can strip paint with oven cleaner. I have tried it several times (including on my Saber), always with no result whatsoever. Does it have to be some particular name brand, or does it only work on some paints, or is it just a hoax?
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Kylwell
Moderator
Posts: 28919
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:25 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO
Contact:

Post by Kylwell » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Just for the record, which Klean Strip product did you use? http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=77
Abolish Alliteration

User avatar
Johnnycrash
Posts: 5512
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:57 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario, Canada

Post by Johnnycrash » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Bellerophon wrote:Does it have to be some particular name brand, or does it only work on some paints, or is it just a hoax?
Not a hoax. Easy-Off in the pump bottle (not the aerosol). As for paint types... I have had it remove ALL types. Older enamels are harder, and will require multiple treatments. Spray on liberally, let stand for 20 minutes or more (will NOT harm plastic/resin), rinse off with warm water, and scrub with an old toothbrush. I have forgotten kits in a bath of the stuff for days, and no ill effect on the kit.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.

User avatar
Bellerophon
Posts: 1963
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: Near Grovers Mill, NJ, just outside of heat ray range, I hope
Contact:

Post by Bellerophon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Kylwell wrote:Just for the record, which Klean Strip product did you use? http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=77
Strip X in the gallon can: http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=119 I had it for stripping paint from furniture and cabinets, and decided to try it on a model.

Worked great. It does work on practically any paint, polyurethane and epoxy included. If I'd left it on longer, it might have attacked the resin. I just didn't leave it on any longer than it needed to loosen the paint. As with any new product, test it where it will do the least harm.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/

User avatar
saiyagohan
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:03 pm
Location: Tiffin,Ohio
Contact:

Post by saiyagohan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Bellerophon wrote:George, I don't know either what resin your Norway was made from, and it might be a softer resin. I notice the paint stripper you used is a spray, though I don't know what difference that would make. Fortunately, the shape of your kit is still okay, so hopefully some puttying and sanding can restore it.

Here's the post he's referring to, to which I just added a warning. In it I recommended Klean Strip to remove stubborn paint from resin. I used it on a Starcraft Saber, and the paint practically fell off when I tested it on a small area. Since it worked safely, I smeared the whole thing with Klean Strip. Since it worked so fast, I didn't leave it on long. I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush, rinsed off the residue with water, and the resin was unharmed. I cleaned it up with some paint thinner. In the post I also show how aggressively this stuff will attack styrene.

On another note, I'm always hearing you can strip paint with oven cleaner. I have tried it several times (including on my Saber), always with no result whatsoever. Does it have to be some particular name brand, or does it only work on some paints, or is it just a hoax?

Well I'm not sure what type of resin was used in the old ASK models kit, but I did test the area on a small area part of the nacelle and it took the paint right off after 15 minutes. So I decided to cover the model with it, wait 15 minutes as the directions on the can said. The spray is the same as the can you used but in spray form. Anyway I saw what success you had and I thought it would work. I took a chance and it didn't work. I am in the process of trying to fix it. I'm using repair putty by loctite, I have repaired the one phaser strip with it and that worked for that but to do what needs to be done I need to find a good putty, any suggestions?
What do the USS Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.

TrekFX
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:29 pm

Post by TrekFX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:34 am

I haven't used this stuff in ages, so I can't speak for the current product, but the old stuff used methylene chloride as an active ingredient.

That's also used as plastic cement... red flag!

Potent carcinogen too.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests