Best primer color for gold metallics?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Havoc

Best primer color for gold metallics?

Post by Havoc »

Hey There,

I've got a Martian rover-type vehicle that I have pieced together and I want to paint the wheels a metallic gold...

I've got Alclad gold, as well as two shades of Gunze gold and brass...

Normally for Alclads, I prime with their gloss black... Never having been much of a fan of bling, I haven't sprayed a whole lot of gold. Any suggestions as to whether to prime in black, gray, or a metallic silver to bring out the best of the gold...?

Thanks in advance for the help, folks!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
I love the smell of Resin in the Morning!!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I would still probably go with gloss black if you're looking for the mirror look. If not then you can get great effects by using a red undercoat (for a warm gold) or white (for a brassy/titanium look). A flat base coat will definitely flatten the look of the metallic coat though, which can be good or bad depending on what you're going for.

-Rog
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Rogviler wrote:I would still probably go with gloss black if you're looking for the mirror look. If not then you can get great effects by using a red undercoat (for a warm gold) or white (for a brassy/titanium look). A flat base coat will definitely flatten the look of the metallic coat though, which can be good or bad depending on what you're going for.

-Rog
Seconded on the red and white. The absolute best goldish/bronzish stuff I ever saw was a step-by-step of some mecha design I absolutely hated. But, the finish in gold has to be one of the best metallics I have ever seen - uber talented 50's jet guys included.

What they did was mix up the panel priming in red, white and even green, polish the frak out of them and then apply gold metallic. I don't remember the hobby colors used. But, I do distinctly remember one of them being decanted Duplicolor gold form Wal-Mart. :shock: The point is ALL of them, looked freakin' awesome. You can find it on youtube if you're willing to hunt through the mecha finishing tutorials on there.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Wow! That's fantastic info and great help!!!!!! Will also see what I can dig up on You Tube.

Thanks a bunch, guys --- man, I really appreciate it!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
I love the smell of Resin in the Morning!!