paint filter question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Chas

paint filter question

Post by Chas »

So anyone ever use enamel paints instead of oils for a filter?
Does the enamel thinner react with (or eat away at) a future clear
coat?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I've used enamels over Future without a problem. It doesn't work as well as oils, or look as good. But it does work.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

The advantage of oils is that they take much longer to dry, which gives more time for blending. If using enamels, I'd suggest adding a retarder to slow down the drying time.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Chas

Post by Chas »

Thanks guys.
Space Ranger, I've used acrylic retarder in the past, never heard of enamel retarder. Where might such a rhing be found?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Chas wrote:Space Ranger, I've used acrylic retarder in the past, never heard of enamel retarder. Where might such a rhing be found?
I've purchased generic enamel retarder in the past from Home Depot and Lowe's. Floquil once made an enamel retarder, and a search for it will turn up several retailers that still have it. Mr. Color Leveling Thinner has been successfully used by some modelers, even though it's really intended for Mr. Color paint, which is a lacquer. And others have used Testor's Metallizer Sealer. I've used xylene as a thinner and it seems to slow down drying time. See here for some suggestions:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... t+Retarder

Winsor & Newton Artists Painting Medium has also been suggested; 3 drops per bottle of Model Master paint.

However, if you are going to use enamels for blending filters, I would use a generic enamel reducer or the Floquil or the Metallizer Sealer, as the others may be too hot and dissolve the underlying paint.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark