Masking... Help and Tips?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Captain Riker

Masking... Help and Tips?

Post by Captain Riker »

When airbrushing, do you use masking tape or do you just use a fine tip and are very careful? I can't seem to mask a good line unless it's straight on a perfectly flat surface.

Do you just use masking liquid? Any tips would be appreciated. I hate finding little dribbles or wavy lines.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

The answer is "IT depends."

On canopies or for individual panels, I mask with Tamiya tape, burnished down. If it's something like a really recessed area or the opposite side of the piece, and is a small area, I don't worry about it. I have an Iwata HP-CH and a Badger 155. Both can give pretty fine lines, with the Iwata giving me damn near pencil lines.

As far as masking liquid, yeah I use it. I used to not think this, but if used over SOME acrylics in a multicolor scheme (or the Future in a canopy), the ammonia in the latex masking liquid will etch the underlying coat. Another masking trick is good, old soft sponges for intakes. Finally, take a hint from the armor guys and use Silly Putty

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Parafilm is excellent for masking over complex shapes, and for odd contours. I've never used masking film. Everything I've heard about it sounds like it's messy to use and clean up, and there's nothing it can do that Parafilm can't do better.

For everything else I use Tamiya tape. I've heard that some people use Bare metal Foil for masking canopies, it burnishes well into tight corners and makes it easy to see where to cut.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

For curves first mask the larger area with what ever sort of 'wide' tape and then use a more narrow tape for the separation line between colors.
Normal?? What is normal??