Gauging interest in an idea for airbrush tool...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Gauging interest in an idea for airbrush tool...

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

SSMers,

This is a totally unscientific, anectdotal bit of market research on behalf of yours truly. I know we all deal with tip dry and have all bent a needle while cleaning an airbrush. After making my own fix at my bench, I decided to see how the world liked it.

I am curious what your thoughts on a tool with the following characteristics:

- under $10 shipped
- made to fix tip dry and make backflushing easy
- one-piece, small, simple to use and is one of those "Aha-why-didn't-I-think-of-that" kind of tools.
- long lasting i.e. impervious to solvents
- will not harm your brush in any way

I know this is a bit vague, but I am gauging interest in the solution as much as anything. Any thoughts including "dumbest idea ever" are appreciated.

Thanks!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Guessing what you're talking about I have to ask, "is it easier and/or better than the tip of your finger pressed against the nozzle?"
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:Guessing what you're talking about I have to ask, "is it easier and/or better than the tip of your finger pressed against the nozzle?"
1000-percent better - safer for you and the needle. :)

It's an all-in-one solution - clean the needle, protect it, backflush all at the same time - aaand it's cheap and simple to use. After the umpeenth needle replacement I thought there had to be a better way.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I guess w/o seeing specifics I couldn't tell you. It's been years since I bent a needle. Partially due to Iwata using spring steel for their needles, partially because of my infrequent deep cleaning.

And I rarely back flush. Usually only when using Tamiya's chunky metalics.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:I guess w/o seeing specifics I couldn't tell you. It's been years since I bent a needle. Partially due to Iwata using spring steel for their needles, partially because of my infrequent deep cleaning.

Appreciate the honesty, Robb. I may have to just post some images of the thing in use.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Will it work on any airbrush? Might be interested... I happen to like ancient Aerographs, and they are finicky when it comes to being clean.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Kylwell wrote:I guess w/o seeing specifics I couldn't tell you. It's been years since I bent a needle. Partially due to Iwata using spring steel for their needles, partially because of my infrequent deep cleaning.

Appreciate the honesty, Robb. I may have to just post some images of the thing in use.

Kenny
If you want to just send me some images I'll let you know. If I need to sign a confidentiality agreement, it wouldn't be my first.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:
Lt. Z0mBe wrote:

Kenny
If you want to just send me some images I'll let you know. If I need to sign a confidentiality agreement, it wouldn't be my first.

I appreciate that! I know I have some around here and a stock NDA I can use. I've already done a provisional on it, so the NDA may be overkill. But, better safe than sorry if I send them over.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Rogviler wrote:Will it work on any airbrush? Might be interested... I happen to like ancient Aerographs, and they are finicky when it comes to being clean.

-Rog
Should work just fine with them. I've tested with a 155, an IWata, a cheapo Harbor Freight and a big, old Paasche VLS. I think the only ones it wouldn't do anything for - not damage mind you, just do nothing - are the external mix kind.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Mak_the_Knife

Re: Gauging interest in an idea for airbrush tool...

Post by Mak_the_Knife »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:SSMers,

This is a totally unscientific, anectdotal bit of market research on behalf of yours truly. I know we all deal with tip dry and have all bent a needle while cleaning an airbrush. After making my own fix at my bench, I decided to see how the world liked it.

SNIP
I would be interested. I paint groups of wargaming minis (BattleTech) at the same time in the same scheme, so I'm often fighting with the paint drying on the needle as I'm arranging things and what not.
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

I'd be in for one simply due to the price.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I am taking the plunge...well I am putting my little toe in. I have had a lot of encouragement from you guys here, some offline contacts and some I consider mentors in modeling. Given the response, I whipped up a few to sell on etsy.

May I introduce the Airbrush Torpedo.

I am going to post a formal "hey, buy this" thread in "This Just In." I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Fingers are crossed. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Wug

Post by Wug »

Are you really going after a patent? Last time I checked you could expect legal fees in the $5000 range.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Wug wrote:Are you really going after a patent? Last time I checked you could expect legal fees in the $5000 range.
99.99% of those legal fees are the patent search which can now be performed by a single person online.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wug wrote:Are you really going after a patent? Last time I checked you could expect legal fees in the $5000 range.
I already filed a provisional utility patent. As a small entity, the search and filing cost me just a few hundred bucks. If...IF it takes off, I have a year to convert the provisional to a full-fledged utility patent. Fingers crossed and all that...

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com