Any alternatives to Strip-a-kit "old" / "dry

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DarKev

Any alternatives to Strip-a-kit "old" / "dry

Post by DarKev »

Hello Folks

Some years back there used to be a product called Strip-a-Kit that worked wonders (put it on, wait a few minutes and wash it off with water and you had a clean kit) on getting old dry paint Enamels or Acrylics off of kits without damaging the plastic. I just found out that it has stopped being made years ago. Anyone know of a "similar" product that also doesn't damage the plastic underneath the paint???

Thanks for any help forthcoming!!!

Darkev
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Castrol Super Clean degreaser, aka Super Clean w.o Castrol branding.

Bonediggers Guide to Paint Stripping
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Well, it's not the exact product, but SAK is sodium hydroxide, which is in oven cleaner, Drano, and Super Clean. Any of those should give similar results. I particularly like the Drano gel. Second choice would be oven cleaner as it sticks pretty well. With liquids you'll need to submerge the model.

-Rog
Wug

Post by Wug »

Superclean

This is from eleven years ago but it's still the best review of paint and chrome strippers.

http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

There are several 'cleaners' out there that will do the job.
As some one already said Castrol
Super clean Easy Off oven cleaner
But if you don't care fore any type of mess that comes with them then there is the original Pine-Sol, just soak the kit for a few hours if not a day or so and place the model under running water.
Are you stripping paint off any clear plastic???
Normal?? What is normal??
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

LOL, this is a great "I haven't read any of the other posts" thread. :D

Sodium hydroxide should be the takeaway from this. This product or that product are aaaall the same chemical.

-Rog
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Scale Coat paint remover is easy to use, and is about the only thing that will touch Tamiya spray paints (Purple Power won't).

Here, this is the stuff:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Scalecoa ... -10568.htm
DarKev

Post by DarKev »

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, they were greatly appreciated. The kit I'm trying to strip is a 1/100 scale Macross Regult Pod. Whoever had it used a brush to paint the parts while they were on the part trees, why I do not know!!! I tired simple green but it's not working as fast (soaked for days and "not much" happened) as I had hoped so I wanted something a bit more "energetic" but not enough to ruin the plastic.

In any event now that I have your suggestions to the store I go.

Thanks

DarKev
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Get gloves if you're using Super Clean.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
DarKev

Post by DarKev »

Hello Saturn

Got the gloves at the same time as the Super Clean, thanks for the tip.

Well the parts have soaked since Saturday and well whoever painted this thing must have painted each part "MULTIPLE" times with that brush. About 60 percent of the paint is gone but what is still there is rather thick. Now it does come off with a gloves finger nail edge but I'm looking for a bit more gone before I attack what's left with a toothbrush.

Again thanks for the suggestions folks, Very Much Appreciated!!!

DarKev
Saturn wrote:Get gloves if you're using Super Clean.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Just so you know Simple Green works best on acrylic paint that is freshly applied, although there've had a couple of times when the paint was not all that fresh it still worked but it did seem to take a wee bit longer though.
Normal?? What is normal??
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

DarKev wrote: Well the parts have soaked since Saturday and well whoever painted this thing must have painted each part "MULTIPLE" times with that brush. About 60 percent of the paint is gone but what is still there is rather thick. Now it does come off with a gloves finger nail edge but I'm looking for a bit more gone before I attack what's left with a toothbrush.
You may want to try a sealed container for your stripping bath- CSC seems to work faster once it's closed up. (a Sterilite shoe container is what I use)