Removing decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Removing decals

Post by Callandor »

What is the best way to remove decals which have dried without doing to much damage to the model and surrounding area? Is it possible to do so without damaging the decal so it can be repositioned? I am working on the 1701 refit and one of my decals shifted. It was dry before I noticed.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Simply, you can't.

Once a decal is laid down, it's done. They can NOT be removed intact, and if they manage to flake off in one piece, it can NOT be reused.

You didn't mention what 1701 kit (there are a few :)). But there are replacement decals for ALL of them, and they are reasonably priced. Just check the SSM store here and see for yourself.

As for removing the old decals... If they are dry and flakey, use a stiff old toothbrush, and "scrub" them off. For parts that don't come off, you may need to lightly sand the area. Use a fine grit (400+) and do it wet. This will minimize any damage to the paint. You may still need to touch it up afterwards before applying the new decals.

Hope that helps.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Try Scotch tape.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Decals will come up easier with masking tape.
Normal?? What is normal??
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Luckily, I have some extra decals to replace the one that got shifted, so I was able to get it off using a damp warm cloth. I was hoping I could salvage the original decal, but oh well.