Dullcote over pearl paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Chas

Dullcote over pearl paint

Post by Chas »

So what happens if I paint the refit with a pearl white>Future>decals>then a flat clear to seal it all up? Does that not cancel out the 'pearl' effect? Anyone have experience with this? I've never used pearl paints before so just trying to get my head around it. It for the 1/1000 PL kit with the wall-paper decals. Anyone have good pics that relate to this?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Yep, kinda cancels it out but a remnant is still present.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You typically end up with a more 'frosted' effect than true pearl.
Abolish Alliteration
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Second that. You will lose the shiny surface reflections, but the mica/PET particles inside of the paint will still sparkle.

As a side note, I'd stay away from metallic effect paint on small scale models, e. g. "real life" car paints from a rattle can or effect paints from hobby stores. The paints work, but their pigments tend to be relatively big - the result might look strange at close distance. There are special model car paints, though, which have very fine pigments, and these allow a very good an "natural" finish at smaller scales.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu