Cartograph decals + Microsol = wrinkly decals when dry?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Salamander

Cartograph decals + Microsol = wrinkly decals when dry?

Post by Salamander »

So I am building a Virtual-On kit that has those nice thin Cartograph decals that Hasegawa sometimes includes with kits. However, the decals have to go over some very curved parts (the boobs on a newer Fei-Yen kit :oops: :roll: ), and when I apply Microsol to them to get them to conform to the curvatures the decals do that properly, but end up rather wrinkled in places when dry.

I've tried smoothening out the decals with a brush when they were still wet, to no avail. They still wrinkle while drying.

Anyone has a solution?
Salamander
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Are you using Microset first?

Contrary to conventional wisdom. You CAN use a soft cloth to press the decal into place when using Microsol. Just watch and wait until most of the Microsol is dry, then press gently straight down on the decal with a soft cloth; a "microfiber" cloth is ideal. Done carefully, no harm will come to the decal.

You can also warm the cloth slightly in a microwave; this frequently helps with thick decals.

I've used this method almost since the Micro system became popular and have never had a problem.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I didn't use microset first as the decals were already sliding all over the place with only water. Will try that and the soft cloth method next time.

Thanks.
Salamander
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Having the cloth damp works best for me.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011