White paint turning yellow tip

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

hossfly72

White paint turning yellow tip

Post by hossfly72 »

Years ago I read a hint somewhere that suggested adding a drop or two of light blue paint to the bottle of white. Not enough to change the color, but just to get into the mix I guess. I was doing mostly camo airplanes at the time, and using acryllic, so didn't pay much attention to it. I might have seen it in Fine Scale Modeler magazine.
Just had a flashback while looking at a 1/2500 1701-A sitting on the bench and thought I'd throw it out there in case somebody might like to try it.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Did you use a gloss white or flat white??? Gloss will yellow more quickly than flat based paint.
Normal?? What is normal??
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

I think I remember something about clear coats yellowing which was easier to see on white paint. It was a car model related thing and they used car wax instead.
hossfly72

Post by hossfly72 »

Back then I probably used gloss white, but I rarely use gloss paints anymore so I don't really have the problem. I was an airliner builder for a while. That amount of gloss white will make your eyes cross!