Testors flat black enamel rattle can- how long to let dry?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

brt

Testors flat black enamel rattle can- how long to let dry?

Post by brt »

I'm finally getting going on an AMT special edition enterprise with some changes and this is the first model that I have tried to light. I just sprayed the insides flat black and wondered how long to wait before spraying flat white. Thanks.
SpaceRanger1

Sniff test

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

My rule when spraying paint, whether from can or by airbrush, has always to wait until I can no longer smell it. Sometimes that's as much as a week.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

If it's flat paint, you might add the next coat pretty quickly - if it is the same sort of paint. If they are of different type, give it at least 25h to settle thoroughly, and generously more if you work with a gloss paint. That can take a week - even if the paint is not sticky anymore to touch, it can, in the lower layers, still be "active" and might react to a new coat on top, which might cure at a different tempo, causing cracking or even a chemical reaction.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
brt

Post by brt »

Thanks. It dries to touch fairly fast. Going by the smell tip, it looks like about 48 hours in mid 60s F temps.
steam235

Post by steam235 »

I've always found testors rattle cans to be 48 hours