A question of chemistry.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

anvil242

A question of chemistry.

Post by anvil242 »

I've been trying all sorts of new things lately. Airbrush and Alclad being just two of them. I used Alclad Steel for the base coat on my Galactica build. When gloss coating the model prior to decaling (Acreation set, another first for me) the Rustoleum darkened the Alclad base. Now the model is gunmetal grey, not bright steel. It's not what I was going for, but I can live with it. My question is what do I do next? I'm thinking that something in the rustoleum reacted with the Alclad to darken it. What will it do to the decals. The Rustoleum contains acetone, toluene and xylene. Are these going to dissolve the decals? Should I use something else to seal it, leave it alone and take my chances? I've read about lacquer reacting poorly to some other types of paint. My experience is with water based acrylics, so I'm out of my depth here.
Thanks for the help.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Have you always gloss coated with Rustoleum? Why not go with Future - less chance of it reacting with whatever is underneath it I would think.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'd hazard a guess that you are correct and whatever solvent the Rustoleon uses interacted with the Alclad. I'd suggest using either Future or Testors acrylic gloss coat.
Abolish Alliteration
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

It's best to be conservative when it comes to clear coating natural metal finishes like Alclad II. Almost any clear will knock down the finish a notch; and a lot of modelers insist that it's not necessary to gloss coat Alclad II prior to decals because of it.

My take is that it depends on the decals.

Alclad does make a series of lacquer clears that I've been wanting to try.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."