Best LaserJet Decal Paper?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

tn_prvteye

Best LaserJet Decal Paper?

Post by tn_prvteye »

I finally purchased a Brother LaserJet Printer, and I'm looking for some good, clear Decal Paper to use with it.

I bought some Papilio decal sheets, but when I got them in the mail, they were all stuck together and impossible to separate without tearing.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like something that doesn't require a clear-coat (I've had bad luck using clear-coats with inkjet paper).

I've got a 1/1400 Ambassador class that needs some Aztecing... :)
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I've been ordering from decalpaper.com and haven't had a problem. Their laser decal paper have tissue on each sheet to keep them separate. Tear off the tissue sheet before you put it in the printer.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by tn_prvteye »

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions...ordering now.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

And you do still need to use a clear coat. The problem you had with clear coat with ink jet wasn't the clear coat, it was the ink. What probably happened was that you put the clear on too thick, or too soon after printing, or maybe both, and it softened the ink, right?

Go with a few lighter coats on the laser sheet and build it up. It doesn't need to be very thick though...just enough to seal the artwork.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Ziz »

And you do still need to use a clear coat. The problem you had with clear coat with ink jet wasn't the clear coat, it was the ink. What probably happened was that you put the clear on too thick, or too soon after printing, or maybe both, and it softened the ink, right?

Go with a few lighter coats on the laser sheet and build it up. It doesn't need to be very thick though...just enough to seal the artwork.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

Post by tn_prvteye »

Well, I had both problems. Too think, too thin...you name it. I tried airbrushing, rattle-cans...everything I tried turned to crap.

I tried straight Future, and Testors Decal-Bonder. What do you recommend? I paint using Enamels, BTW.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I use Krylon Clear Gloss. Use clothes pins to clip the sheet to a piece of cardboard and spray from about half an arm's length. Just mist it over the sheet. Let sit for a few minutes and go a second or third time if necessary. Don't worry if it's not totally smooth because you're going to be dullcoting the finished model later anyway.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

Post by tn_prvteye »

Thanks again for the tips...I'll give it a shot.