new to airbrushing

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

interstellarmodeler

new to airbrushing

Post by interstellarmodeler »

I'm new to using a "real airbrush". I just bought a new gravity fed airbrush and compressor and have a couple of questions:

1. How much paint do you usually put into the cup for a typical model? Say your're building a Viper and going to be painting the entire base coat.

2. What are the best tools to use for thinning paints? Are there droppers made for such things?

Appreciate any advice about this. Thanks
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

1. Less than you think you'll need. Especially with a gravity feed. Yeah that's vague but you'll begin to get a feel for it. I don't think I've ever used a full cup for a paint session.

2. I use plain old glass eyedroppers as they clean up easily.
interstellarmodeler

Post by interstellarmodeler »

Vetter wrote:1. Less than you think you'll need. Especially with a gravity feed. Yeah that's vague but you'll begin to get a feel for it. I don't think I've ever used a full cup for a paint session.

2. I use plain old glass eyedroppers as they clean up easily.
Thanks, I just gave it my first attempt. I think I thinned the paint too much. It's supposed to be the same consistency of milk but it seemed awfully thin. Appreciate the advice. this is definitely gonna take a little practice.