Fixing Sticky Vinyl

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

M3

Fixing Sticky Vinyl

Post by M3 »

I got a vinyl Horizon Space Jockey as a "rehab" project. Here's the issue: the previous builder tried to use rattlecan spray paint on the base, and now, after an extensive Simple Green soak and scrub, the vinyl is still "sticky". It feels like it's soft and tacky; however, the surface is still semi-solid, and there's no residue when I run my fingers across it. It DOES pick up lint and fibers from whatever I run across it (paper towels, fabric lint, dog hair- and no, I didn't run the dog across it, you just get corgi hair EVERYWHERE.)

Is there any way to re-firm the vinyl surface? Or at least make it less sticky? Is there some kind of paint or chemical I can use to stabilize the surface?
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Future? It works as a barrier coat between different paints, so it might work in this case.
Andy_USA

Post by Andy_USA »

take the suggestion to try the future, i am really not even sure that will work. if that fails to work, try using Easy Lift-Off Paint and Decal Remover, this product is not as hot as some other paint removers and is designed to use with this type of product. Yes we have used this on my wife's vinyl and resin pieces just be warned use in small amounts if possible because it will dry out your project. *basically using less on large amounts as quick as possible*
Please pray for America, she is still sick !!! :(
Stay Safe, Mask Up
Andy_USA :rifles:
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

How long has it been since you stripped it?

I'd let it sit in a warm area for a few days and see what happens, may take a bit for the surface to dry out and all of the solvents to de-gas properly.

I've stripped vinyl kits with lacquer thinner and it won't leave the surface tack and will also dry it out a little bit as well.

Ken
M3

Post by M3 »

kenlilly106 wrote:How long has it been since you stripped it?

I'd let it sit in a warm area for a few days and see what happens, may take a bit for the surface to dry out and all of the solvents to de-gas properly.

I've stripped vinyl kits with lacquer thinner and it won't leave the surface tack and will also dry it out a little bit as well.

Ken
It's been out of the Simple Green for about a year. :wink:
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Wow!!!

I'd try some lacquer thinner and see what happens
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

If you stripped it I would just try priming it with an acrylic primer.

Max Bryant
Arthur Pendragon

Re: Fixing Sticky Vinyl

Post by Arthur Pendragon »

M3 wrote:I got a vinyl Horizon Space Jockey as a "rehab" project. Here's the issue: the previous builder tried to use rattlecan spray paint on the base, and now, after an extensive Simple Green soak and scrub, the vinyl is still "sticky". It feels like it's soft and tacky; however, the surface is still semi-solid, and there's no residue when I run my fingers across it. It DOES pick up lint and fibers from whatever I run across it (paper towels, fabric lint, dog hair- and no, I didn't run the dog across it, you just get corgi hair EVERYWHERE.)

Is there any way to re-firm the vinyl surface? Or at least make it less sticky? Is there some kind of paint or chemical I can use to stabilize the surface?
Prepare a mix of water and caustic soda (the one used to de-grease motor parts). Be extremely carefull, as it may cause severe burns. Use a mask, eye and hand protection. Mix it with a disposable wood piece (do not use metal... it will be corroded). Lock it way from children or animals.

Dip the model at the mix, and let it stay overnight.

Remove the vinyl part. Dispose the caustic mix properly. Wash it very well in running water, and let dry.

The vinyl "must" be dry to the touch, and not "sticky" anymore.

If not, sorry, it´s decaying heavily, and propably will start to deform soon. No way to recover it.
For in much wisdom there is much grief; and he who increases knowledge, increases sorrow.
Ecclesiastes, 1:18